This posting has expired and is no longer available.
Browse Similar Jobs: Healthcare - Admin/Office/Records/Finance Customer Service Healthcare - ALL CATEGORIES
The PBX Operator answers a multiline computerized PBX system and directs calls to the appropriate extension, department or individual. Relays incoming, outgoing and interoffice calls. Greets all patients and visitors entering the hospital, directing to the appropriate areas. Responsible for monitoring and responding appropriately to medical emergency alarms, fire, and equipment failure.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Answer PBX switchboard with multi-line phones lines. Route calls to appropriate extension, department, or individual in all hospital locations. Use alternative routing options and procedures to connect high priority or emergency calls when ordinary methods fail and to make efficient outgoing connections. Responsible for connecting complicated conference calls.
- Greet and direct patients and visitors in the hospital.
- Provide telephone and organization's information to callers.
- Safeguards the confidentiality of all patient information.
- Monitor and respond appropriately to medical emergency alarms, fire alarms and equipment failure alarms.
Skills / Requirements
Specific Job Skills:
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to use courtesy and tact with a diversity of callers. Customer-service orientation in dealing with callers who are emotional, upset, irate, or may be able to provide only sketchy information regarding the service need.
- Knowledge of the hospital organization and it subdivisions in order to direct incoming calls.
- Ability to quickly and accurately manage heavy call traffic on multi-incoming and outgoing lines. Includes knowledge of alternative routing options and procedures to make efficient outgoing connections and to connect high priority or emergency calls when ordinary methods fail.
- Knowledge of the capabilities of the telephone system and the procedures necessary to connect a number of parties on one or both ends of complicated conference calls and to arrange two-party conference calls.
- Knowledge of patient confidentiality and privacy requirements
- Ability to direct patients, visitors and physicians to all areas of the hospital appropriately.
- Physical Abilities: Sitting for prolonged periods, fingering, repetitive motion, hearing and speaking.
Education and/or Experience:
High School diploma or its equivalent is required. In addition, at least 6 months of general customer service experience, answering service background and /or professional switchboard operation is recommended.