Adams County Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Legal Technician Specialist
at Adams County Government
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
Seeking a candidate to initiate and take appropriate actions to establish, maintain, modify and/or enforce child support, medical support and foster care fee orders in accordance with applicable Federal and State laws, rules, and regulations.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Determines appropriate course of action to establish parentage, financial and medical support based upon case circumstances and legal requirements.
- Initiates legal and administrative actions to modify and/or enforce medical and financial support.
- Conducts locate functions in order to determine parties' contact information, employment history, and financial assets.
- Gathers necessary verifiable documentation to appropriately determine a monthly support obligation using State of Colorado's mandatory guidelines.
- Calculates and ensures amount of arrears are accurate based on existing court orders.
- Determines and utilizes appropriate enforcement remedies based on payments and participation in referral programs.
- Works closely with all parties to ascertain barriers, and makes referrals for additional services as appropriate.
- Consults with the Assistant County Attorney to assist in preparing motions, petitions, orders, and other legal pleadings as appropriate.
- Prepares cases for court hearings, including preparing court exhibits and organizing case files.
- Ensures cases are compliant with Colorado Revised Statutes, court records and other regulations governing the child support program.
- Meets with parties and/or their attorneys in interviews or conferences in order to provide case status, answers case related questions, and explains Child Support processes.
- Works in conjunction with other counties, states, tribes, and international jurisdictions to establish and/or enforce on orders for parentage, financial, and medical support.
- Qualifications for Success
- Ability to effectively use the following computerized systems and applications: ACSES, CBMS, Colorado Court Data Access, Work Number, ICCES, DMV, DOL, Microsoft Office Suite, TxtPro, TRAILS, COVIS, and QUICK.
- Knowledge of Volume VI, federal regulations, Colorado Revised Statutes, and interstate laws applicable to child support services. Maintains such knowledge by remaining current with program rules, regulations and statutory changes.
- Ability to understand court orders, draft legal documents, apply legal remedies, and process cases based on program standards.
- Ability to multitask, organize workload with attention to detail, and apply critical thinking to complex situations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with a diverse population, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish, maintain, and foster positive working relationships with those contacted in the course of business.
- Adheres to strict confidentiality policies and appropriate release of information.
- More Qualifications for Success
- Legal Technician Specialist Experience Requirements: Four (4) years full time, responsible experience, one year that must be equivalent to a Legal Technician or Paralegal position.
- Education and Training:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Satisfactory completion of an Associate's or Bachelor's degree in an appropriately related field may substitute for all but the one year of required experience.
- License or Certificate: None.
- Background Check: Must pass a criminal background check.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
- Ability to work in a standard office environment.