Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Principal Scientific Analyst – Research Data and Analytics
at Amgen Inc.
Career CategoryInformation Systems
Amgen is seeking a Principal Scientific Analyst to join the multi-site Research & Medical Informatics (R & MI) organization. In this role, you will report to the Director, R & MI and will be part of the team advancing the strategy and implementation of the next generation of data and analytics products in support of advancing the early stage research pipeline.
The R & MI team partners with Research teams globally to develop innovative information systems and data products to accelerate and grow Amgen’s pipeline of biopharmaceuticals. Our success in informatics is inspired by our commitment to our patients, to our business partners, and to use technologies that deliver critical business value. Further, we at Amgen are building upon our solid oncology foundation and long-term commitment to patients by developing a whole new class of novel molecules – and we need top talent to ensure these molecules become medicines and realize their potential for helping patients.
- Develop and lead an information strategy to optimize the access, use and value of life sciences and drug discovery data across the organization
- Articulate and build support for strategic information imperatives with Research senior leadership
- Engage, collaborate and build sustaining partnerships with key scientific researchers across Research and Process Development organization to translate scientific and operational needs into informatics strategies and solutions
- Develop and review new investment business cases to ensure credible value and alignment with long term departmental and corporate strategies
- Provide critical thinking to analyze and address common data challenges across domains of biology, molecular discovery, engineering, screening and genomics
- Guide development of robust information models that define and describe key concepts across multiple scientific domains, regardless of system or application.
- Guide the identification and/or development of critical taxonomies and reference data to maximize data standardization and reusability
- Model business processes; elicit, document and prioritize requirements for the delivery of new data consumer focused information capabilities
- Develop and lead high-performing multi-disciplinary product teams of Scrum Masters, Business Analysts, Software Architects, Software Engineers, Vendors, Data Scientists and Computational Chemists and Biologists
- Serve as a product owner for key data and analytics products maximizing quality, timeliness, usefulness, and optimized cost control
- Develop strong governance and stewardship practices for shared data products and reference data
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Information Systems experience
Master’s degree and 6 years of Information Systems experience
Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of Information Systems experience
Associate’s degree and 10 years of Information Systems experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Information Systems experience
2 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- Deep understanding of biotech/pharmaceutical concepts, business processes and technologies
- 10+ years working experience, of which 6+ years has been in the life sciences industry, leading teams, managing complex IS projects, and driving cross-functional technology introduction and innovation
- Understanding of semantic technologies, Linked Data, OWL, knowledge graphs, graph databases, and other connected-data enabling capabilities
- Expertise in information modeling and data architecture
- Doctorate or Master’s degree in Chemical, Biological or Computer Sciences
- Excellent influencing skills and demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally with business partners and stakeholders, IS teams, and external service providers.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills and ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and management.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and matrixed team environment using Agile methodologies and best-practices, including but not limited to version control (Git, TFS, Subversion, etc.), CI/CD (Jenkins, Maven, Gradle, etc.), automated unit testing, DevOps
- Experience with the following enabling technologies and solutions: AWS stack, Salesforce, Databricks, MulesSoft, Tableau, Spotfire.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Amgen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its biologics manufacturing expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.