Arapahoe County Sheriff
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Road Maintenance Worker - Peoria
at Arapahoe County Sheriff
- Arapahoe County's Public Works and Development Department is an American Public Works Association Accredited Agency, the first County in Colorado to obtain this status. Within the Department of Public Works and Development, the Road and Bridge Division is seeking a Road Maintenance Worker to join our team.
The Arapahoe County Road and Bridge Division is seeking a highly motivated and innovative individual to join our team. You'll get the best training in the business and the support of an awesome team. The ideal candidate should possess the desire to work hard every day towards a team goal and enjoy performance based annual salary increases.
This job offers opportunities to work for a high performing organization that strives for excellence every day, in which employees are encouraged to grow professionally through personal development and increased responsibility.
Benefits of working for Arapahoe County Road and Bridge:
The primary duties of this position is to work directly with the asphalt paving crew and to assist in a variety of asphalt repairs.
- Annual salary increases based on hard work and attitude
- Promotions based on hard work and attitude
- Goal oriented workload
- Excellent balance between hard work and time off provided each year
- 15 - 8hr paid vacation days
- 12 - 8hr paid holidays
- 1 - 8hr paid personal holiday
- 12 - 8hr paid sick days
- 3 day weekends! 4 - 10hr work days are routine unless weather or other circumstances arise
- Work hours are typically 7AM to 5PM Monday through Thursday
- Insurance - please see benefits tab
- Retirement - work at a career rather than another job
- Uniforms and laundry service provided
- All PPE provided including steel toe boots.
If you are seeking steady employment with multiple opportunities growth and leadership, we are looking for you!
This position requires a person who has the ability to work evenings, holidays, weekends and on-call for snow or other emergency events.
***Our anticipated hiring range based on final qualifications of candidate, $18.50 - $20 hourly.***
- The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. The County reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of this position at any time.
General Statement of Duties:Performs semi-skilled and unskilled highway and other road and street maintenance duties either manually or with a variety of hand tools. Train for possible snow removal and other light equipment duties.
Performs manual labor duties requiring the use of hand tools such as shovels, picks, rakes, chain saws, axes, hand saws, power drills, post hole diggers, and up to 90 pound jack hammer.
Trains on light equipment such as patch truck, patch roller, forklift, hand mower, tandem axle dump truck with snow plow, and skid steer.
Performs preparation and patching of damaged roadway areas with asphalt including shoveling, raking and tamping of the asphalt.
Shovels/removes old asphalt. May clean storm drains as needed.
Performs the duties of a flagger during traffic control situations such as controlling traffic at work site by flagging and/or placing barricades.
Assists with traffic control set up and removal at the start and end of each shift.
Also performs other manual labor duties such as cutting weeds, push mowers, weed eaters, etc.
Removes snow from streets and other public thoroughfares; loads deicing material into trucks and spreads deicing material onto the roadway with tandem axle truck.
Works on an on-call basis for winter storm duty and other emergency conditions at all hours of the day or night.
Shift work for snowstorms may require 16 hour shifts or longer based on the severity of the storm.
After training and after obtaining CDL class "B" driver's license hauls materials (gravel, asphalt, concrete, chips, etc.) in tandem axle dump truck.
Checks and maintains proper fluid levels and air pressure of equipment. Training for CDL pre-trip inspections to be performed on a daily basis.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Please note the hours of this position are 7:00 am to 5:00 pm Four days a week.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Basic knowledge to properly and safely operate and maintain assigned light equipment and hand tools.
Knowledge of safety rules, regulations and practices.
Ability to perform strenuous manual labor as required for extended periods of time.
Ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, other employees, and the general public.
High school graduation or GED equivalent.
One year experience with manual labor duties which includes hand tools such as shovels, picks, rakes, chain saws, axes, hand saws, power drills, post hole diggers, and up to 90 pound jack hammer is required.
One year experience in general road construction or maintenance work, truck driving, or light equipment operation preferred.
- Supplemental Information
Pre-employment testing includes an acceptable current motor vehicle check, background check, physical capabilities examination and drug screen.
Must have a current "R" driver's license and be able to obtain a CDL Class "B", with a tanker endorsement, driver's license within 90 days of hire.
Possession of a valid Colorado CDL Class "B" driver's license at time of hire is preferred but not required.
CDL training is provided
Must be able to obtain flagger certification within 10 days of hire.
Flagger training is provided.