Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
VP, Project Advancement
at Aspen Snowmass
Job Reference #: 8084
Categories: Management - Executive/Senior (C-Level, VP)
The Little Nell Hotel Group
Job Title: VP, Project Advancement
Reports To: COO, The Little Nell Hotel Group
The Little Nell Hotel Group (“TLN HG”)
The Little Nell Hotel Group’s portfolio of owned and operated hotels and residences currently consists of The Little Nell, Aspen’s only Five-Star, Five-Diamond, ski-in/ski-out hotel, and its affiliated Residences at The Little Nell, both located at the base of Aspen Mountain; and the upscale Limelight Hotel Aspen and Limelight Hotel Snowmass in Colorado, as well as the Limelight Hotel Ketchum near Sun Valley in Idaho. The Company also owns and operates two mountain clubs (the Aspen Mountain Club and the Snowmass Mountain Club). Most recently, TLN HG announced the acquisition of a land parcel in Mammoth Lakes, CA, where it plans to build a Limelight Hotel and affiliated residences.
TLN HG is a division of The Aspen Skiing Company. The Aspen Skiing Company was acquired by the Crown Family of Chicago in the mid 1980’s. It is a privately held company. The Crown family owns several operating companies in a diverse set of industries. Additional hospitality property is the 300-room, 5-Diamond Ojai Valley Inn & Spa in Ojai, California. The Crowns consider Aspen Skiing Company as a “multi-generational” holding and believe the Aspen brand and its underlying properties represent a unique and irreplaceable asset.
The Little Nell Hotel Group
Ownership has encouraged the expansion of The Little Nell Hotel Group’s portfolio through either acquisition or ground up development of hotel properties at a pace of 1-2 properties per year. The company has engaged Price Waterhouse Coopers and other consulting firms to map out target locations for future hotel projects. The current portfolio is as follows:
• The Little Nell, Aspen's premier resort, a Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Award, AAA Five-Diamond Award winner, and Relais & Châteaux member, is the proud recipient of the countless awards and recognition. Within the 92 room hotel is the much acclaimed, Forbes Five-Star Restaurant, element 47 as well as the renowned Ajax Tavern. In addition, the Nell operates the Sundeck restaurant atop Aspen Mountain as well as the exclusive Aspen Mountain Club. The Little Nell also has the management contract for the Residences at Little Nell, a fractional ownership residence club comprised of 26 multiple bedroom units and 8 hotel rooms, totaling 93 Rooms.
• The Limelight Hotel in Aspen is a 126 limited service, lifestyle oriented hotel. Acquired in 2010 after being rebuilt by the original owner in 2008-09, the Limelight has gained a strong reputation in Aspen and beyond for casual, but authentic and enthusiastic service, catering to both locals and visitors with its popular lobby/lounge/restaurant offering live music, hosting local events and serving as wonderful gather place for guests of all types. The hotel outperforms all competitors in occupancy and caters to a younger, social adventurer clientele.
• Limelight Ketchum, Idaho, with 99 hotel rooms and 14 residential units on the upper two floors of the 5 story building. The project was completed in December 2016 and all residential units have been sold.
• Limelight Snowmass was completed in November 2018. It consists of 99 hotel rooms plus 11 residential units and the newly organized Snowmass Mountain Club.
This position was previously held by a 23 year plus employee who has the title of SVP Hospitality. The company has an incumbent VP, Design & Construction who maintains the expansion pipeline in addition to additional project management personnel to assist in execution of acquisition and ongoing capital projects.
This position is responsible for design, development, entitlement, renovation and tenant improvement, delivery and occupancy of The Little Nell Hotel Group’s hotels, clubs, multi-family and commercial condominium units. In addition to full design and fiscal responsibility for projects in existing properties the position will be responsible for due diligence, cost estimates, scheduling and execution for any Property Improvement Plans (PIP) for acquisitions and any new development opportunities. In this role, the incumbent shall manage a set of individual project managers who in turn are responsible for identifying, retaining and managing third party contractors and consultants. Incumbent shall assume responsibility for construction of approved projects. With the support of the COO this position will be the primary liaison with ownership for design review and approval of projects as necessary. This position will also have the support of, and provide oversight of, a cost engineer position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage to Hospitality development and construction standards, guidelines and objectives and modify as appropriate.
• Maintain and develop other administrative processes such as critical path planning and effective budgeting, manage costs and schedules, ensure proper planning, design, and construction of assigned projects.
• With the VP of Development identify and analyze Hospitality opportunities for the company.
• Maintain cutting edge knowledge of Hospitality design and construction trends
• Organize and conduct due diligence for assigned projects.
• Positively participate in the operation of the TLN HG resulting in sound financial performance, successful achievement of corporate goals and project budgets.
• Manage and project managers and/or direct third party consultants in the necessary planning, architectural design, engineering, specifications and drawings, fabrication and other required pre-development and pre-construction activities for construction projects of the company.
• Obtain bids or cost estimates and create, in coordination with the cost engineer, budgets for capital and construction projects undertaken by the company as assigned. Prudently manage and report on budgets in a timely manner.
• Obtain the required permits and regulatory approvals necessary to undertake development projects. Manage the construction activities of the project(s) pursuant to and in compliance with those permits and approvals.
• Selection and retention of third party design team, contractors and constructors to perform work on behalf of the company, negotiating, writing, and managing contracts securing the performance of said third parties. Direct, supervise, oversee and manage the work and performance of these third party contractors and/or the company’s own labor and resources Assume direct responsibility for the development of certain projects on behalf of the company as required.
• Act as the company’s owner’s representative with respect to such third party contractors, governmental agencies, tenants and/or purchasers of the company’s Hospitality improvements.
• Manage various aspects of design coordination, compliance, signage creation and implementation, third party construction coordination, tenant improvements by others, homeowner or commercial association interaction and representation and such other activities.
• Establish and enforcement of commercial design, signage and other guidelines for hospitality related projects.
• Represent the company in governmental and community meetings including presentations as required.
• Obtain local, State and Federal permits as necessary for assigned projects.
• Internally coordinate with or integrate activities with other planning, development and real estate group personnel, and with the Legal, Finance, Accounting, Marketing and Operating Departments as required.
• Directly coordinate with SVP of Planning and Development of Aspen Skiing Company to assign appropriate project management teams to approved projects.
• Create and execute presentations for management and ownership to obtain approval of projects and to report on fiscal performance and project execution.
• Direct supervision of the cost engineer and individual project managers.
• Perform routine office administrative duties including file maintenance, operation of office equipment, record keeping and similar tasks.
• Become informed about, support and promote GREENTRACK, ASC’s environmental management system.
• Actively participate in Front Line Leadership staffing of operations during peak business periods.
Broad understanding of finance, planning, design, construction, contracting and project management fields.
Working knowledge of municipal and building codes including IGCC and IECC as well as LEED requirements.
Understanding of and experience in hospitality, retail, commercial, multi-family property and/or resort facility planning, design, development, construction, implementation, delivery, use and management from the developer, builder and/or landlord perspective.
Must be able to manage numerous projects, priorities and teams simultaneously.
Computer skills including Word, Excel, Power Point and Project or similar word processing and spreadsheet programs, as well as critical path construction planning, sequencing, and scheduling.
Knowledge of /resort/hospitality industries required.
Thorough knowledge of regulatory procedures as they apply to the project and industry.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Ten years or more experience in the fields of hospitality/resort design, construction and development preferably specializing in mixed-use construction with experience in resort environments.
A Bachelor’s degree in business, real estate development, construction management, planning architecture, engineering or related fields is required. Advanced Degree preferred.
The position requires the ability to present complex materials in a professional manner to a variety of audiences both orally and in writing.
The position requires the ability to read, understand and work with financial spreadsheets, budgets, cost estimates, complex financial modeling including cash flow, return thresholds and related financial information.
The position requires reasoning ability commensurate with the complexity of the projects undertaken, in some cases involving very involved and intricate sequencing, causal and logistical relationships.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
None specifically, but professional certification may be pertinent to selection.
The position requires the ability to review projects under construction that may have restricted access such as stairs or uneven terrain.
The position will require overnight travel frequently.