Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sushi Chef - Full-Time
at Benihana Restaurants
- # of Openings
- Store #
- Doing Business As
- Benihana Denver
- Business Unit
- Benihana National Corp.
- Position Type
Responsible for preparing side and sushi items for our guests in accordance with Benihana’s portioning, recipe and service guidelines. Primarily works in front of guests while preparing foods at the sushi bar. Monitors and ensures the portioning of foods prepared at the sushi bar and maintains the cleanliness and sanitation of the sushi bar and equipment.
In accordance with Benihana’s service and cooking procedures:
- Greets and welcomes guests upon arrival to the sushi lounge area.
- Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking using a variety of kitchen equipment (including but not limited to broilers, ovens, grills, and fryers).
- Responds promptly and courteously to guest requests and provides guests with information about Benihana foods. Ensures guests are satisfied with food quality and service.
- Performs shift opening and closing duties as assigned by manager on duty (MOD) such as cleaning the neta cases, cutting boards, fryers, grills and floors.
- Is knowledgeable about and complies with the Company’s standards on food portioning, cooking methods, quality standards, kitchen recipes, policies and procedures.
- Maintains kitchen, cooking areas, sushi counters, neta cases, kitchen equipment, knives and food storage areas clean, sanitary and organized. Reports any kitchen/sushi equipment or maintenance issues to the manager on duty (MOD).
- Prepares foods in accordance with the Company’s portions standards and recipe specifications prior to cooking, including battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating foods. Properly handles ready to eat food that is served raw.
- Adheres to the Company’s guidelines on proper food presentation and garnishes for all dishes.
- Handles, stores, labels, and rotates foods properly and in accordance with public health safety, state and local laws.
- Uses knives, hand tools, utensils, and equipment to portion, cut, slice, julienne, whip, beat, maintain holding temperature, chill, freeze or otherwise produce food for the dining room, sushi lounge and bar.
- Adheres to Company guidelines on alcoholic beverage service.
- Presents a clean and neat appearance and uses a courteous manner with all guests.
- Immediately notifies MOD when guests are not satisfied with their experience or if an accident occurs.
- Participates and joins restaurant staff in ensuring guest special occasion celebrations are memorable. Upon request or at the direction of the company, may be asked to photograph and/or be photographed with guests.
- Performs other duties as assigned by a supervisor.
- Must successfully pass Benihana’s sushi chef training program
- Previous experience as sushi chef highly desirable
Competencies, Knowledge and Skills:
Customer Service: Must possess excellent customer service skills. Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism when interacting with guests and dealing with guest complaints. Ability to monitor and anticipate guests’ needs and respond accordingly in an effort to maintain a positive and enjoyable Benihana dining experience. Ability to entertain and perform in front of guests is strongly desired.
Communication: Must possess excellent verbal and nonverbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate and understand guests’ and colleagues’ instructions, read and understand written directives, and be able to clearly communicate if s/he requires further direction. Must be able to interpret nonverbal cues in an effort to identify and correct potential problems. Must be able to clearly speak in English.
Interpersonal Relationships: Ability to adapt and interact with a diverse group of people. Ability to maintain a professional and courteous demeanor during stressful and/or busy times. Must be able to work as part of a team and recognize the importance of each team member’s role in the guest dining experience.
Physical Demands: Must be able to perform a variety of physical activities including, but not limited to, standing for long periods of time, climbing, walking, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 55 lbs. Ability to carry and lift cookware (pots, pans, etc.) containing hot or cool foods and liquids.
Food Knowledge, Preparation, Production and Safety: Ability to prepare food for consumption with background knowledge of proper techniques and equipment to be used. Must be able to clearly explain how food is prepared, cooked, and served to guests. Knowledge of industry standards on food storage and handling techniques is highly desirable. Where applicable, holds a state and/or local food handlers card. Knowledge of hibachi and beverages is a plus.
Problem Solving and Conflict Management: Must exercise sound judgment and possess good problem solving skills. Must have the ability to recognize and resolve problems in an appropriate manner.
Shift Flexibility: Must be able to work different shifts, include holidays, nights and weekends. Must be able to work overtime as required.