Boulder Community Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
RN Patient Safety and Quality Specialist
at Boulder Community Hospital
Work Hours: 08:00-4:30 pm
Boulder Community Health was recently honored as Best Local Employer by the Daily Camera in the 2018 Boulder County Gold, their People’s Choice Awards for businesses in Boulder County. Come join us and be a part of an independent, community-focused health system and feel good knowing that your work will make a difference in people’s lives and be a positive contribution to the community.
The RN Patient Safety and Quality Specialist Coordinates the ongoing assessment of occurrences and reports, precursor safety events, serious safety events and facilitates all root cause analysis and follow-up. Facilitates organizational performance improvement events. The position assists in the company’s effort to implement strategically leading improvement activities via assigned Value Streams, sustaining results through employee training and involvement. Outcomes are measured and reported concurrently to the appropriate Value Stream Executive, Director of Quality and senior management.
Leads and facilitates clinical and/or operational process improvement initiatives across the organization using clinical/process improvement methodologies, project management strategies, leadership, and change management skills to achieve outcome improvements. Collaborates with staff, leadership, and patient’s in multidisciplinary teams to strategize, develop and achieve goals for improving the delivery of consistently safe, effective, efficient, patient-centered, timely and equitable care.
Working knowledge of various software applications used in process mapping, process design/re-design, statistical analysis of data, data management, and presentations and MS Office Suite (Visio & Excel).
Must have excellent written and verbal communication, negotiation, and facilitation skills, demonstrating comfort communicating and delivering presentations to individual at all levels within the organization, including all key executives. Must be highly personable and have the ability to establish an immediate rapport with others. Must have excellent project management, advanced analytical and problem-solving skills, and be highly customer and patient focused.
Education or Formal Training
Special Qualifications (Licensure, Registration, etc.)
Current Colorado RN license in good standing or Bachelor’s degree in healthcare preferred.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
1. Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, and systems.
2. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
3. Ability to establish positive interdepartmental relationships with demonstrated tact in dealing with individuals at all administrative and professional levels.
4. Skill in problem identification, evaluation, and resolution.
5. Knowledge of Toyota Lean Production System tools and deployment experience preferred.
6. Able to drive change up and down the organization through the facilitation of cross functional teams.
7. Able to develop, document, measure, and analyze results.
8. Able to influence and motivate others.
9. Ability to respond calmly and effectively in stressful situations.
10. Ability to organize multiple tasks and workloads and be flexible to meet department needs.
11. Ability to utilize computer software programs.
12. Ability to demonstrate proper English grammar, punctuation and sentence structure.
13. Skill in maintaining records.
14. Ability to communicate effectively to various audiences and utilize facilitation skills as needed.
1. One to two years’ experience in clinic or hospital required.
2. Prefer 2+ years’ experience in hospital setting deploying lean methodology in healthcare process improvement work.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED
1. Laptop Computer
3. Ability to compose and type emails, memos, and short reports
4. Computer skills especially Excel and Word 07
5. Ability to create graphs with annotations
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
1. Must be able to move between offices and multiple campus sites
2. Able to grasp and lift files weighing up to 2 pounds.
3. Requires normal visual acuity and hearing.
4. Sits for long periods of time and must be able to answer phones.
5. Must be able to do data entry for prolonged periods of time.
6. Ability to write, dictate or otherwise communicate.
7. Ability to hear normal level conversations and to recall and record information.
8. 80% sitting at a computer.
9. 20% walking and standing.
1. CEO, Vice Presidents, Directors, Managers, Clinical Leads
2. Staff – All staff in inpatient, outpatient, and physician clinic areas
1. Maintains excellent communication with the Director of Quality and Patient Safety and other directors and administrators throughout the organization.
2. Works collaboratively with the Risk/Legal Services department to coordinate and facilitate root cause analysis activities and assist with clinical investigations.
3. Assists with Precursor Safety Events, Serious Safety Events, Patient Safety Indicators, Mortalities, Patient Falls, Medication Errors and Service Alerts.
4. Maintains a neat and professional appearance, demonstrates commitment and dependability
5. Meets standards of professional and ethical conduct.
6. Establishes and maintains effective, professional working relationships with employees, department directors, physicians, other hospital departments, outside agencies and the public.
7. Facilitates improvement events, ensuring standard work is adhered to for adequate preparation and planning and follow through.
8. Promotes Value Stream improvement by collaborating with Performance Excellence Specialistthe Division of Organizational Excellence Leadership Team, and executive staff to plan, execute and follow-up on Rapid Improvement Events (RIEs).
9. Develops and adheres to standard work to attain future state goals for assigned improvement projects.
About Boulder Community Health and Boulder, Colorado
Uncompromising medical excellence, delivered with the values of respect and compassion. Since 1922, Boulder Community Health has built our reputation on this promise. As a community-owned and operated not-for-profit hospital and clinics, we remain dedicated to meeting the evolving healthcare needs of our citizens and providing access to high quality medical care. Our state-of-the art facilities are home to many medical professionals who offer an extensive range of medical services.
Nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, adventure awaits you right outside your door. Big, beautiful vistas, serene snow-capped mountains, and a lifestyle conducive to enjoying the outdoors bring a truly fresh perspective to our practice of healthcare.
Surround yourself by natural beauty and an active, life-embracing community, while you enjoy state of the art facilities and equipment along with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including health/dental/life, paid annual leave, tuition reimbursement and much more.
EOE/Affirmative Action/Drug-free workplace