Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Finance
at Brooklyn Boulders
OUR STORY: Brooklyn Boulders (BKB) opened its doors in 2009. With facilities now nestled in the hearts of New York, Boston and Chicago and programs all over the country, BKB operates an adventure lifestyle ecosystem that consists of a diverse community of climbers, creatives, artists, and fitness enthusiasts, with the common vision of Becoming Superhuman Together.
We live and breathe our CORE VALUES. They’re what makes BKB…BKB!
GET WEIRD -- Be yourself. BKB is your creative playground.
CO-CREATE -- Trust your team. Results are stronger when we collaborate.
BE RELENTLESS -- Attitude is everything. Take risks. Fall hard. Get back up.
MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL -- Create something extraordinary. Be proud to share it. Never stop improving.
MAKE IT AN OPEN HOUSE PARTY -- Encourage diversity and inclusion.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking for an experienced Director of Finance to oversee all financial aspects of the business and drive the company’s financial strategy and planning. You will be responsible for assessing the financial performance of the company as well as possible risks and investments.
The Director of Finance is a reliable, driven professional with broad knowledge of all accounting, financial and business principles. This person is a strategic thinker and effective leader who can help BKB optimize strategic decision making via sound financial analysis and assist in guiding the company to continually improving profitability and long-term success.
The Director of Finance will co-create alongside VP of Finance to develop and support the accounting and financial infrastructure of the company and to continuously improve budgets, KPIs, and analytical tools and procedures. Acting as a partner to BKB’s VP of Finance & senior leadership team, this person will play a key role in significant strategic and operating decisions.
It’s time to get weird with Brooklyn Boulders.
- Act as an inspirational leader and manager of the BKB Finance team - Financial Controller, Accounting Manager, and Accounting Specialist
- Act as a financial mentor for and provide direct financial support to BKBs middle management team, General Managers and Directors across multiple locations
- Collaborate with the Financial Controller to manage all day-to-day financial operations at Brooklyn Boulders, including all accounting, finance and cash management functions
- Partner with the Leadership Team to help integrate finance with daily operations across multiple markets, including the preparation of Facility & Regional level P&L’s
- Oversee and review the preparation of timely and detailed reports on financial performance on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Perform a variety of advanced financial analyses to determine present and forecasted financial health of the company and drive the financial planning of the organization
- Use financial modeling to simulate financial scenarios
- Present potential scenarios and outcomes to management team
- Oversee the implementation of all necessary business policies and accounting practices alongside BKB’s Accounting Manager & Financial Controller to ensure an effective internal control environment; improve the Finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual
- Retain constant awareness of the company’s financial position and cash flows, and proactively anticipate and prevent any issues
- Set up and oversee the company’s financial and accounting IT systems
- Partner with real estate leadership and VP of Finance to evaluate proposed new locations, undertake ROI/capital investment appraisal projections and monitor ongoing capital expenditures to provide a checkpoint to keep projects on budget
- Examine financial and legal documents to verify accuracy and adherence to financial regulations, requirements, covenants, company policies and acceptable financial principles
- Collaborate with VP of Finance on development and execution of creative funding strategies
- Co-create with Financial Controller to ensure adherence to and keep up-to-date with changing and/or anticipated financial & accounting regulations, laws and guidelines.
- Always be focused on improving process & organizational efficiencies resulting in cost and/or time savings.
- Oversee strategic planning to ensure compliance with applicable tax statutes, accuracy of tax returns and minimization the organization’s long term tax obligations.
- 5 years’ experience in a financial management position
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices
- Deep expertise and experience in financial analysis and forecasting
- Expertise in the use of MS Office and financial management software. Experience with G suite applications is a plus
- An analytical mind with a strategic outlook and the ability to turn strategy into execution
- Experience with facility/site level, corporate level and consolidated reporting is ideal
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- The ability to effectively juggle multiple high-priority tasks across the organization
- Comfortable with using and implementing new software and technologies
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- A desire to work in a fast-paced dynamic growth environment. Proven experience in helping a business scale is a plus
- Professional experience in the fitness and/or real estate industries is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or related field required (MBA is a plus)
- CPA, CFA, CMA or other relevant professional qualification is a plus
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and our Director of Finance is…
- Self-assured, courageous, decisive, clearly accomplished, but with ego under control – ever-present leadership stature, cordiality and humility
- Visionary, positive, consultative, and energetic, with an abiding sense of urgency and a decisive pace
- Not afraid of achieving tough, demanding goals, and has a desire to continue “raising the bar” while maintaining a positive attitude
- Open, direct, and crisp in personal style and executive bearing
- Of the highest integrity and moral fiber. Values are an integral part of this person’s leadership and behavior.
- Free membership for employees
- Complimentary membership for a significant other or family member
- Unlimited free guest passes for friends
- Discounts on personal training, retail, and guided outdoor adventure trips
- Company offered health, dental, and vision plans
- Generous paid time off policies
- Generous parental leave policy
Though our Team Members come from a wide range of experiences and are as unique as our business, we are all united under our ultimate promise: belonging and inspiration through experiences that engage imagination, passion, and physical potential! If you're excited by the prospect of co-creating with a hard-working, driven team of individuals, we're excited to talk with you about a future at Brooklyn Boulders.
*With your application, please provide your resume and cover letter*