Burns & McDonnell Corp
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Electrical Designer
at Burns & McDonnell Corp
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 180340
Burns & McDonnell's office in Centennial, CO, is looking for an Assistant Electrical Designer to do substation design for a variety of clients. Burns & McDonnell is a 100% employee-owned firm ranked on FORTUNE's List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in numerous cities across the United States.
The Assistant Electrical Designer will enjoy significant responsibility and autonomy while having the support of senior engineers. Additionally, this group's training and mentorship will provide the platform for this individual to grow into a Senior Lead/Project Designer, bringing with it full execution of projects with respect to scope, design, client interaction and material/construction support.
The Assistant Electrical Designer will work within our Transmission & Distribution Global Practice to perform the following duties:
- Assist in the design for substations, including yard layouts, plans, elevations, sections and details, grounding, ground grids, Bill of Materials (BOMs), interior and exterior raceways, auxiliary AC and DC power systems, and cable lists.
- Assist in preparing new and modified relay drawings, including relay panel arrangements, protection and controls, single lines, three lines, AC schematics, DC elementaries, equipment wiring, and relay panel wiring.
- Follow all company, client and project design and drafting standards.
- Apply basic formulas and compute necessary calculations regarding designs.
- Assist with initial rough designs or sketches and redlines or markups on ongoing projects.
- Assist with analyzing reports, drawings, and tests to plan and design projects.
- Apply design codes and specifications related to design requirements.
- Complete and review design drawings within scope, budget and schedule. Perform project tasks and assignments within budgeted hours and deadlines.
- Incorporate schedules, budgets and project criteria into electrical design and layouts.
- Organize and maintain all revisions of project drawings, plot files and project-related information in a logical and well-structured manner.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in drafting technology or related field and two years related experience or associate's degree and four years related experience or five years progressive detailing and design experience. Previous substation experience is highly preferred.
- Strong understanding of design software such as AutoCAD, MicroStation, and Excel to develop the design deliverables. Ability to learn and effectively utilize new design software programs.
- Ability to utilize both 2D and 3D applications to prepare engineering drawings.
- Basic knowledge in design, calculations and design systems.
- Basic knowledge in the theory and practices of assigned discipline; competent in the fundamental concepts of other disciplines as they relate to the assigned discipline; and capable of operating related discipline design software necessary to execute production tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others (Project Managers, Engineers and Designers) in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to travel 5%.