City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
(CDL) Van/Bus Driver
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
The City of Aurora is seeking a qualified individual for the position of Van/Bus driver to perform transportation services for Youth in our Day Camp programs, Adults in our day trip programs, and youth in our after school programs to various locations in the city of Aurora, Metro Denver and the State of Colorado.
Oversees and assists in recreational and/or sports activities in a specialized, multi-site or excursion setting.
This is a temporary, part-time position with no benefits. Hours vary from 10-35 hours per week.
Perks included with this position:
Free admission and meals to all events, museums, theaters, tours, dining adventures and all other trip destinations.
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates 20+ passenger and 14-passenger van, and a 65 passenger bus
- Transports Aurora program participants to various locations within and sometimes outside the Metropolitan area
- Acts as escort to excursion program participants
- Monitors participants for compliance with rules and regulations
- Monitors behavior of participants while in transport
- Purchases tickets, meals, and pays for other excursion-related expenses with a City purchasing card or city funds as designated
- Assists passengers when boarding or disembarking from vehicles
- Assists with packages, supplies, or other items as appropriate
- Operates wheelchair lift, wheelchair securement system, and assists wheelchair passengers in entering and exiting vehicle
- Completes reports before and after each excursion
- Trouble-shoots minor problems on excursions
- Maintains the vehicles in a safe manner
- Cleans interior and exterior of vehicles as needed
- Responds to emergency first aid when required
- Attends staff meetings, defensive driving courses or other training as assigned
- Informs fleet maintenance of safety related maintenance needed or suspected
- Performs pre and post operative vehicle checks and maintenance
- Completes accident/incident reports as required
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED.
- At least 1 year experience in the operation of 20+passenger vans.
- Working knowledge of traffic laws and defensive driving principles and needs of participants.
- Ability to read maps, signs and locate addresses quickly; operate 20+ passenger van & 65 passenger bus on city streets and occasional mountain roads; assist participants boarding and exiting vehicle; and perform the tasks assigned in a patient and courteous manner.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills; skill in use of computers with related software.
- Valid driver license.
- Colorado Commercial Driver's License Class B Certification with P2 Passenger endorsement required.
- Current First Aid and CPR Certification preferred.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Light physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 20 pounds; regular lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 10 pounds; some walking and standing to assist passengers; some pushing, pulling, flexing, climbing, bending, kneeling and crouching to operate wheelchair lift and secure wheelchairs with tie downs; foot/eye coordination to operate van/bus; vision to read instructions, traffic markings and vehicle gauges; frequent hearing and speech communication.
- Works both indoors and outdoors in varying weather conditions with some exposure to dust and noise
- Operates a bus/van and cell phone.
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veteran's points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E. Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.