City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The mission of the Public Works Department is to effectively promote and maintain a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora through the planning, design, construction, inspection, review, approval and maintenance of Aurora's transportation and drainage infrastructure.
The City of Aurora is seeking an Interim Public Lighting Program Manager to assist in developing and managing a public lighting program directly, or through consultant contracts with the Public Works Department.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Determine appropriate lighting levels for parking lots, public streets and pedestrian walkways
- Develop standard details and specifications for approved light poles, foundations, fixtures, and other attachments
- Develop various processes including site and civil plan review, maintenance, on-call/emergency response, utility locates, and capital replacement
- Assist in determining positions and develop appropriate job descriptions or scopes of work for program positions and/or consultants
- Assist in determining appropriate levels of staffing and funding
- Provides technical expertise to Public Works and other departments and divisions
- Reviews construction plans and specifications
- Ensures compliance with design, City policies and procedures, and governmental regulations
- Negotiate contracts, make presentations, recommend for approval construction documents for public construction
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Civil, Structural, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (or similar related field)
- At least 6 years professional level engineering experience in design, construction, and maintenance of public and commercial lighting and lighting systems
- Experience developing or managing a municipal public lighting program preferred
An equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and theories of outdoor lighting design, construction, and maintenance, including technical knowledge of LED fixtures and drivers
- International, federal, state and municipal building design requirements, codes and specifications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Establish and fulfill goals and objectives; plan and schedule work operations
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, and project management skills
License and/or Certificates required:
- Prefer registration as a Professional Engineer or Architect in the United States, State of Colorado
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Vision for data analysis and preparation
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of a computer keyboard
- Foot/eye coordination for operation of a motor vehicle for field inspections
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Primarily works in a clean, comfortable environment; may perform some outdoor work for field inspections
- Personal computer and motor vehicle.
- This position may require occasional use of personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.).
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies