City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineer - Transportation Project Delivery
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The mission of the Public Works Department is to effectively promote and maintain a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora through the planning, design, construction, inspection, review, approval and maintenance of Aurora's transportation and drainage infrastructure. They are looking for a Project Engineer to plan, review, coordinate, and perform complex professional engineering work to support the engineering services function of the Public Works Department under the supervision of the Transportation Projects Delivery Manager.
Performs design engineering work as part of the Transportation Project Delivery Division of the Engineering Services Division of the Public Works Department.
Engineers' primary responsibilities are the development of transportation improvement project design. This work is performed at the direction of professional engineers.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-served basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs systems and prepares project plans and specifications related to the assigned function
- Reviews, evaluates, and revises engineering plans and specifications
- Participates in the preparation of cost estimates, specifications and bid evaluations
- Monitors and controls construction progress and expenditures
- Meets and coordinates with other departments, consultants, government agencies and utility companies
- Investigates complaints and recommends corrective action
- Collects and analyzes data
- Prepares and presents a variety of reports
- May serve as project engineer on the construction phase of City projects
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree, from an accredited institution, in civil/transportation engineering or related field
- At least two (2) years progressively responsible professional engineering work in assigned function
- Considerable knowledge of current engineering principles and practices applicable to assigned construction and design function
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Present ideas clearly and concisely in oral and written form
- Ability to review, correct and recommend solutions to complex engineering plans
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
- Skills in the use of field and office engineering instruments and equipment including a personal computer and related software
- Experience with AutoCAD and Civil 3D is preferred
Licenses and Certificates:
- EIT Certification or Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) with the State of Colorado or ability to obtain through reciprocity from another state within six (6) months of employment
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving record
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Frequent walking and standing
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of a computer keyboard and engineering instruments
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Foot/eye coordination to operate a motor vehicle for field investigations
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment with some outdoor work for field investigations
- Personal computer, engineering instruments; electronic components; motor vehicle
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies