City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Forestry Maintenance Technician
at City of Aurora
Pay: $19.23 to $26.92/hour
$19.23 - $26.92
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2160325
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- City of Aurora, ColoradoIt is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
Department InformationThe Forestry Division of the Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces department of the city of Aurora focuses on maintaining and planting trees throughout the city - otherwise known as the Urban Forest.
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
Please Include with Application:
Current Drivers License
Current Motor Vehicle Report
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The City of Aurora is seeking a skilled Parks Maintenance Technician to perform skilled tree work primarily with rope and saddle on city-owned trees under the guidance of the Forestry Crew Leader.
- Follows directives of lead worker on daily assignments
- Prunes, removes, grinds stumps, plants, waters, fertilizes, sprays, and inventories trees
- Operates machinery needed in the maintenance of trees including aerial lift operation
- Educates and explains forestry standards of street tree maintenance to citizens
- Serves as crew leader on volunteer work projects
- Maintains equipment for daily use
- May assist with training of crews
- Performs 24 hour emergency storm response and snow removal duties in coordination with other departments
- Maintains a safe working environment
- Climbs trees to perform maintenance with using industry accepted rope and saddle techniques
- Perform basic rigging and lowering techniques
- Performs other duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED.
*An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- At least 2 years experience in a forestry environment. *
- Must have tree climbing skills with a rope and saddle.
Knowledge: Knowledge of tree biology, tree care practices, key insects, tree diseases, identification, proper handling, and storage techniques for temporary holding of nursery stock; and personal computers.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; identify plant material; and read and understand technical manuals.
Skills: Technical and analytical skills; basic skills in computer operation; intermediate tree climbing skills, basic aerial lift operation.
Licenses, Certificates, and/or Equipment Required:
- Ability to obtain a Class B Commercial Drivers License within 60 days
- ISA Certified Tree Worker certification within 6 months of employment.
- CPR and First Aid certifications within 6 months of employment.
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands: Moderate to heavy physical work requiring ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds with or without assistance or 100 pounds with assistance; frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 20 pounds; regular walking and standing to perform field inspections; some climbing, bending, kneeling, and crouching; hand/eye coordination to operate computer and take tree measurements; foot/eye coordination to operate motor vehicle to travel to inspection sites; frequent hearing and speech communication with employees and citizens; vision to read reports, manuals, and other informational materials.
Work Environment: Works primarily outdoors in varying weather conditions with exposure to dust, fumes, chemicals, noise, and hazardous conditions.
Equipment Used: Operates a motor vehicle; uses maintenance equipment required to perform function of job._____________________________________________________________________________
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!