City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Project Coordinator Intern
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora. We're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Light rail station minutes away
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Transportation Projects Delivery (TPD) Group within the Public Works Department promotes and maintains a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora by planning, designing, and constructing significant portions of the city's transportation and drainage infrastructure. The TPD Group is looking for a motivated self-starter to assist project engineers and managers with financial planning, tracking, and reporting for TPD capital projects.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for providing financial services support to the Transportation Projects Delivery Group within Public Works. The Transportation Projects Delivery team currently has over $35,000,000 in design and construction projects to monitor and complete. This position reports to the Transportation Projects Delivery Manager, or designee, and will work closely with the Public Works' Manager of Business Services.
- Coordinates, administers, and tracks the progress of numerous complex transportation projects with multi-party funding sources
- Maintains systems to monitor the status of all projects in their various phases
- Exhibits strong organizational skills
- Organizes and maintains project financial records
- Assists with and monitors internal financial control activities, and responds to data and project financial status support requests
- Coordinates with Project Managers to obtain monthly updates
- Assists Project Managers in providing accurate project forecasting and review of expenditures to ensure payment requests are supported by appropriate documentation are consistent with each individual contract, and properly reflect costs incurred
- MS Excel skills and familiarity with databases and analytics reporting tools are desirable
- Perform other duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Presently taking courses towards an Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field
- At least one (1) year of general office, or similar, experience
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Understanding of general accounting and finance practices
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and outside vendors
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Establish and fulfill goals and objectives
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines with little supervision
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
Licenses and Certifications:
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Occasional physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Frequent walking and standing
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of a computer keyboard
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees foot/eye coordination to operate a motor vehicle
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies