City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Project Engineer - Transportation Project Delivery
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The mission of the Public Works Department is to effectively promote and maintain a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora through the planning, design, construction, inspection, review, approval and maintenance of Aurora's transportation and drainage infrastructure.
Plans, coordinates, and performs professional engineering work as part of the Transportation Project Delivery Division of the Engineering Services Division of the Public Works Department.
Project Engineers' primary responsibilities are transportation project scoping, design development and construction management. Outlined below are the necessary qualifications specific to the delivery of transportation improvement projects throughout their life cycle.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-served basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs systems and prepares project plans and specifications related to the assigned function
- Reviews, evaluates, and revises engineering plans and specifications
- Plans, reviews, develops, and coordinates the design and construction of complex utility, roadway, and drainage projects from project conception to completion, including coordination with various federal and state agencies
- Develops criteria and designs for complex engineering projects
- Coordinates with various federal, state and local agencies regarding general development activities
- Prepares cost estimates, specifications, and procurement documents
- Performs detailed analysis of engineering project data to develop long-term capital funding plans for improvements and efficiencies
- Responds to citizen complaints and inquiries regarding transportation-related projects
- Designer and engineer of record for transportation projects as assigned.
- May represent the engineering section of Public Works at public hearings, homeowners association, and planning pre-application meetings
- May review general development, site, civil construction, and drainage plans, and plats for conformance to annexation agreements, city code ordinance, and roadway, drainage, and urban drainage requirements
- Monitors and controls construction progress and expenditures
- Plans, develops, and implements customer service enhancements to the infrastructure planning and review process
- Perform other duties assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree, from an accredited institution, in civil/transportation engineering or related field.
- At least three (3) years experience in municipal engineering work
- Considerable knowledge of current engineering principles and practices applicable to municipal engineering projects
- Local, state and federal laws and regulations related to the assigned function
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Make decisions and solve complex technical problems
- Interpret codes and criteria
- Use computer design software in engineering projects design and review
- Work effectively with other employees, outside agencies, contractors, and citizens
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
- Skills in the use of field and office engineering instruments and equipment including a personal computer and related software
- Experience with AutoCAD and Civil 3D is preferred
Licenses and Certificates:
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado or ability to obtain in six (6) months
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving record
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Frequent walking and standing
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of a computer keyboard and engineering instruments
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Foot/eye coordination to operate a motor vehicle for field investigations
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment with frequent outdoor work for field investigations.
- Personal computer, engineering instruments; electronic components; motor vehicle.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies