City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Recreation Coordinator - Morning Star Adult Day Program
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
- City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
The Recreation Division of PROS (Parks, Recreation and Open Space) Department is committed to providing fun recreational programs and facilities for all ages aimed at improving the overall physical and mental health of Aurora's Citizens. We are currently looking for a creative and enthusiastic Recreation Program Assistant to perform a variety of tasks to assist in the coordination, development, and implementation of programs, services and resources for the Morning Start Adult Day Program.
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Coordinate, plan and implement person centered daily activities designed to meet the interests and the physical, mental and psychosocial well-being of participants including but not limited to:
- Individual and group social activities, community excursions, educational activities, intergenerational programs, special events and exercise
- Activities that offer choice including activities occurring simultaneously
- Maintain documentation as required by State and Federal Regulations
- Responsible for the creation of the monthly calendar of daily activities and Newsletter
- Recruit, train and supervise contingent staff and volunteers
- Assess participant needs and develop participant activities goals for plan of care
- Encourage participant engagement and document outcomes
- Foster caregiver and community support of the activity program through newsletters, networking, activities which bring caregivers together (including seeking out partnership opportunities)
- Serve as the transportation liaison with the Aurora Center for Active Adults
- Report daily nutrition information and assist with planning special menus
- Serves on the Leadership team
- Perform other duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Bachelors degree in recreation, leisure services, physical education, or a directly related field.
Experience: At least 1 years activities/recreation/leisure services experience with seniors or individuals with memory impairment.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of person-centered program development and/or therapeutic recreation. Knowledge of the aging process and the need of the senior population.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; handle sensitive or stressful situations with tact, patience, understanding and diplomacy; ability to take initiative when not directed and use proper care and judgment in all situations; ability to work independently; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Skills: Strong interpersonal skills; skill in use of computer with related software.
Licenses, Certificates, Equipment required:
- Colorado Driver's License with good driving history.
- QMAP and CPR certification within 6 months of hire.
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical Demands: Sedentary to moderate physical work depending upon assignment; may require ability to lift 50 pounds with or without assistance; may require regular standing and walking; may require bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing; hand/eye coordination for operation of computer; may require foot/eye coordination for operation of motor vehicle; vision to read reports and other written material; frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
Work Environment: Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment; may require outdoor work with exposure to dust and noise.
Equipment Used: Personal computer with related software applications; may require operation of motor vehicle.__________________________________________________________________For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupationalqualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.