City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Wastewater Treatment Operator
at City of Aurora
Pay: $26.39 to $38.22/hour
$26.39 - $38.22
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2071791
Categories: Customer Service
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- BECOME A LEADER WITH THE INDUSTRY LEADER
WASTEWATER TREATMENT OPERATOR
Aurora Water, located in colorful Colorado, prides itself on having top-level staff members in all positions. We are recruiting high-quality treatment operators to fill vacancies created by retiring operators, and by those who have advanced to higher level positions. We are seeking Class A or B operators (or equivalents) that are innovative and excited to operate the industry's most advanced treatment processes, and can share our passion for treatment and tenacity for quality.
Aurora Water's Sand Creek Water Reuse Facility has earned the NACWA Peak Performance Award for excellence. This demonstrates Aurora Water's commitment to water quality, optimization, staff development, quality maintenance, and continuous improvement as part of our culture.
Colorado is a great place to live, and our mission at Aurora Water is to promote a healthy work life balance. Operators receive excellent benefits including competitive salaries, a stable fixed-benefit pension plan, additional pay for Class A or B certifications, and tuition reimbursement. For those who seek to advance in their career, Aurora Water supports professional growth and leadership development through succession planning and training.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for overseeing work performed on an assigned shift and ensures treated water quality surpasses all State, Federal, and Water Department standards
- Monitors raw and treated water flows, adjusts flows and pumping rates as needed
- Conducts quality tests on raw and treated water
- May develop, monitor, and implement a process control plan for plant operation using manual and computerized systems
- Maintains, inspects, troubleshoots, reports, and performs maintenance and repair of plant equipment
- May maintain plant facility and grounds
- Maintains plant security
- Prepares daily, weekly, and monthly reports of plant performance and responds to questions, problems, and complaints concerning water quality or service
- Trains and instructs staff in plant maintenance and operation activities and ensures use of proper safety equipment and procedures
- Ensures cleanliness of assigned areas and proper storage of equipment and supplies
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associate's Degree in water technology or water quality management preferred
- At least 4 years progressively responsible experience working in a Wastewater Treatment facility
- Including at least 2 years experience working in a Wastewater Treatment facility installing, maintaining, and operating equipment
- Comprehensive knowledge of safety practices and requirements of a Wastewater treatment facility
- Knowledge of chemistry, microbiology, mathematics, and hydrology
- Knowledge of pumps, valves, motors, filters, backflow prevention devices, piping, and plumbing structures
- Knowledge of chemical analysis and testing techniques
- Personal computers including spreadsheet and word processing software applications
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Perform mathematical computations
- Work without close supervision
- Direct the work of other employees
- Work shifts and nights; and work overtime, standby, and/or callback duty.
Skills: Skill in the use of personal computers including word processing and spreadsheet software applications.
Licenses, Certificates or Equipment:
- Colorado Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators Class A or B Certificate required
- Or ability to obtain required certification within Aurora Water Department guidelines
- Valid driver's license with a good driving history
- DUI's require a 3 year/cleared record, from date of reinstatement
- Revocations, Suspensions, Denials require a 3 year/cleared record, from date of reinstatement
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT SCREENING REQUIREMENTS TO INCLUDE:
All selected candidates will be subject to the following pre-employment screening at the time of hire.
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug Screening & Physical Exam
- Submittal of official transcripts of most relevant/highest level of education listed on the application
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate physical work requiring ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds repetitively
- Regular lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 20 pounds
- Regular walking and standing to monitor control room and treatment plant operations
- Pushing, pulling, and climbing to check system equipment; hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard and treatment plant controls
- Foot/eye coordination for operation of motor vehicle
- Vision to read and interpret written reports and control room gauges
- Speech communications for communication with employees and citizens
- Hearing and listening for instructions and warning signals.
Work Environment: Works primarily indoors and outdoors; with exposure to noise, dust, chemicals, and fumes.
Equipment Used: Operates treatment plant equipment, computer, and motor vehicles.
Aurora is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The city also maintains compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The city's Equal Employment Opportunity Plan (EEOP) is available for review by contacting the Employee Relations Officer in the Human Resources Division at 303-739-7225.
If you need assistance or reasonable accommodation for completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E. Alameda Parkway, Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!