City of Commerce City
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
GIS Technician (Part-Time/Non-Benefited)
at City of Commerce City
- General Purpose
The GIS Technician is responsible for developing and maintaining geographic data for the City. The GIS Technician provides cartographic and analytic products to staff, citizens, and other stakeholders. The GIS Technician troubleshoots end-user issues and escalates issues as needed.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares, maintains and delivers reports and maps using ArcGIS.
- Uses data to produce maps and reports for various stakeholders
- Edits and maintains feature classes in a versioned enterprise database, including annexations, streets, parcels, and addresses.
- Creates and uses domains, relationship classes, and geocoding locators.
- Writes, updates, and maintains user documentation and procedures for GIS applications
- Inputs and updates GIS data on annexations, subdivisions, buildings, streets, parcels, aerial photography, and other data sets
- Maintains standard maps, map templates and layer files
- Provides Tier 1 GIS support for the diagnosis, restoration, and maintenance of GIS-related software and data
- Trains and assists City employees in the use of the GIS system and related applications
- Reviews address plat and offers suggestions for conformance to standards
- Uses ArcGIS Online at the Publisher Role
- Document all work products and progress in the IT Service Management System
- Ensure service level commitments are met to internal and external customers
- All city employees must model and demonstrate the City Values at all times during the course of employment; to include: Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Respect and Excellence
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree or equivalent course work in GIS (geographic information systems), computer science, geography, or planning, and two years of hands-on GIS experience supporting ESRI's ArcGIS maintenance. Experience creating maps within ArcGIS or other mapping programs is required. Experience and training in ITIL with ITIL Foundations Certification preferred. CJIS certified or ability to obtain certification within 30 days of employment. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered. Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Equipment Used, Work Environment and Physical Activities
- Must be physically capable of operating motor vehicles safely in the normal course of assignmentsOffice equipment: Daily use of a copier, scanner, and printer
- Computer equipment: Daily use of a personal computer, GIS software, plotter, MS Office software
- Other equipment: GPS, camera, laser range finder, and barcode reader
- Physical activities: Sits for long periods of time; may walk, stand, bend, stoop, reach, climb, carry and lift for varying periods. Requires continuous and repetitive arm-hand-eye movement
- May involve lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs for short periods of timeVision and hearing: Possesses visual acuity to see and read paper and electronic documents; and distinguish between colors and shades of color. Understands and responds to verbal information by hearing or with substitute communication technology