City of Commerce City
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Information Technology Project Manager
at City of Commerce City
- General Purpose
The IT Project Manager is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, implementation, execution, control and completion of specific IT projects. Performs a broad range of project management duties directly related to these projects including customer requirements definition, systems analysis, facilitating business process re-engineering activities, development of project plan and approach, project communications, change and risk management, vendor management, and other project management duties as required.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Develops, plans, and implements both short and long-range project plans to meet organizational objectives in alignment with PMI and PMBOK
• Directs and coordinates activities of project teams to ensure projects and operations are on schedule, within prescribed budget and in alignment with organizational objectives
• Develops and reviews project proposals to determine time frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements and allotment of available resources to various phases of the project
• Manages the RFP process for the department
• Prepares system documentation pertaining to policies, procedures, hardware and software
• Develops and maintains IT Project Management process documentation and standard operating procedures for the department
• Prepares project and status reports for management and staff
• Reviews status of the project team, modifies schedules, plans and strategies as required
• Ensures product-related training and documentation are developed and provided to appropriate staff
• Facilitates the creation of project charters and task planners
• Implements and manages project changes to achieve project objectives
• Acts as single point of contact for assigned IT projects
• Assembles and coordinates project staff including internal resources and outside vendors
• Provides direction and support to the internal project team and outside vendors
• Confers with employees and project teams to provide technical advice and to resolve problems
• Communicates with the project team to outline plans and schedules, and to assign duties, responsibilities, and identify any risks/issues
• Continually monitors and reports on status of the projects to all stakeholders
• Prepares written project proposals, plans, status reports and other related project documents in the IT Service Management System
• Ensure service level commitments are met to internal and external customers
• All city employees must model and demonstrate the City Values at all times during the course of employment; to include: Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Respect and Excellence
Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Business Administration and at least five years of project management experience working in a customer service oriented environment. Must have experience with current Microsoft desktop operating systems, current Microsoft Office suite, and the proper use of personal computers and related computer hardware. A current PMP certification is preferred. Experience and training in ITIL with ITIL Foundations Certification preferred. CJIS certified or ability to obtain certification within 30 days of employment. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered. Must possess a valid driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong knowledge of the PMI or equivalent project management methodology
• Strong knowledge of project management concepts, principles, practices, techniques, and tools with progressive project management experience
• Working Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and IT Service Management (ITSM)
• Strong knowledge of the terminology, principles and methods utilized within the Information Technology field
• Strong Knowledge of project risk management techniques
• Strong Knowledge of project management software tools and templates
• Knowledge of general business fundamentals
• Skill in utilizing computer hardware, software tools, applications and techniques to meet user requirements
• Skill in organizing resources, establishing priorities and establishing schedules
• Ability to direct and coordinate project team members without any supervisory authority over individuals.
• Ability to communicate technical solutions with language easily understood by all levels of the organization
• Ability to listen to customers' needs and help formulate project requirements.
• Ability to concurrently manage multiple deadline-driven tasks and projects
• Ability to take initiative and work without direction
• Ability to apply creativity to resolve conflict and solve problems
• Ability to analyze complex problems, interpret operational needs, and develop integrated, creative solutions
• Strong problem solving skills and attention to detail
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of all sensitive records and documents related to projects
- Equipment Used, Work Environment and Physical Activities
• Driving: Drives a city or personal vehicle in the normal course of business
• Office Equipment: Daily use of computer, keyboard, copier, scanner, printer, calculator, phone (desk and cell). Daily use of software programs including Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Word, Excel.
• Other Equipment: Occasional use of hand tools
• Physical Activities: Sits for long periods of time; light physical activity that may include walking, sitting, standing, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and carrying
• Lifting: Occasionally lifts, carries, and exerts up to 50 pounds
• Vision & Hearing: Must have visual acuity to see and read paper and electronic documents. Must be able to answer telephones, communicate conversation and respond to verbal inquires.
• Exposure to Environmental Conditions: Position generally works in an office setting with overhead lighting and long periods of screen time. Work may be performed in precarious or tight spaces.
• Schedule: Position generally scheduled Monday - Friday; occasionally weekend work. May be required to be available for on-call duty.
• Additional Working Conditions: None
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications. Employees are accountable for all duties associated with this position.