City of Commerce City
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Plans Examiner II
at City of Commerce City
- General Purpose
The Plans Examiner II works under general supervision & requires considerable knowledge of architecture or professional engineering, basic building codes & other applicable laws, rules, regulations & nationally recognized standards in order to perform a wide variety of technical plan reviews of non-residential buildings and structures including commercial and industrial buildings as well as alterations to existing buildings and structures.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Reviews all plans for new and altered buildings and structures to ensure compliance with the City's adopted codes
• Maintains and expands knowledge of existing building and trades codes, code changes, the code development process and alternate materials and methods of construction
• Performs reviews of residential and non-residential construction plans in an organized and systematic process and completes reviews on established schedules
• Performs multiple reviews of projects simultaneously
• Reviews 4-day and over-the-counter residential permits for decks, carports, fences, etc.
• Issues plan correction notices to permit applicants and design professionals and ensures construction plans are revised and in compliance with the City's codes prior to permitting issuance
• Maintains plan review comments and plan correction notices, catalogs and stores approved plans, maintains plan review and Certificate of Occupancy check-lists
• Coordinates special inspection requirements and ensures special inspections are performed in accordance with the City's codes
• Assists the Assistant Building Official / Senior Plans Examiner with reviews and related work
• Conducts meetings with owners, contractors, architects, engineers & other involved parties to review, clarify & resolve problems associated with codes & differences in opinions
Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
High School diploma or GED and at least three years of experience in building code plan review or building inspection is required; college level coursework in engineering, architecture, or construction science preferred. ICC Residential and Commercial Plans Examiner certifications are preferred; or must acquire Residential certification within six months and Commercial certification within one year of employment. An equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered. A valid Colorado driver's license is mandatory.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Advanced knowledge of building and trades codes, plan review procedures and processes, building construction practices and alternate construction methods and materials
• Skill in use of scientific calculator, engineer's &/or architect's scale; photocopier & specific planning software and equipment
• Effective writing, speaking, and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to read, understand, convey, and enforce applicable codes and zoning ordinances with firmness, tact, and impartiality
• Ability to establish effective working relationships with coworkers and construction/design professionals with diverse and sometimes demanding personalities while promoting a team environment
• Ability to organize tasks and work environment to maximize efficiency with attention to customer service
- Equipment Used, Work Environment and Physical Activities
• Driving: Drives a city or personal vehicle in the normal course of business
• Office Equipment: Daily use of computer, keyboard, copier, scanner, printer, calculator, phone (desk and cell), and electronic diagnostic equipment. Daily use of software programs including specialized permitting software, and Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Word, Excel.
• Other Equipment: Occasional use of ladders.
• Physical Activities: Sits for long periods of time; light physical activity that may include walking, standing, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and carrying. Requires continuous and repetitive arm-hand-eye movement.
• Lifting: Occasionally lifts, carries, and exerts up to 40 pounds
• Vision and Hearing: Must have visual acuity to see and read paper and electronic documents, distinguish between shades of color, and read small print and symbols. Must be able to answer telephones, communicate conversation and respond to verbal inquiries.
• Exposure to Environmental Conditions: Position generally works in an office setting with overhead lighting and long periods of screen time. May be exposed to extreme heat, cold, dry, wet, odors, smoke, loud noises, vibrations, dust or intense light.
• Schedule: Position generally scheduled Monday - Friday; occasionally weekend work. May require attendance at evening meetings, council sessions or after-hour events. May require attendance at off-site meetings.
• Additional Working Conditions: None
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications. Employees are accountable for all duties associated with this position.