City of Commerce City
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Business Analyst
at City of Commerce City
- General Purpose
The Senior Business Analyst analyzes business processes, identifies technology needs, gathers business/technical requirements and manages technical projects in order to recommend and implement IT solutions. This position primarily supports the Police Department and will be a vital liaison in partnering the Police and Information Technology Departments by providing subject matter expertise on applications in use by the PD.This position will also develop a strong knowledge of end-users' operations and emerging needs, identify changes or improvements to the functionality and efficiency of existing processes, and liaise with the IT department to bring useful ideas for technology-focused solutions to end-users in a pro-active manner; collaborating with internal and external customers.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Translates business requirements into technical processes and system solutions that are aligned with the IT department strategic plan and industry best practices
• Develops requirements, specifications and documentation for IT needs in collaboration with assigned department stakeholders
• Ensures that all work is end-user focused, committed to excellence, with a strong attention to detail during all phases of the project lifecycle including discovery, initiation, requirements, design, development, testing and implementation
• Negotiates priorities and builds consensus among City departments, external customers, application end-users and IT staff
• Develops and manages Request for Information (RFI) and Request for Proposals (RFP) for new software and hardware
• Defines and documents Tier 1 support role and provides Tier 2/3 support and subject-matter expertise for enterprise and departmental software applications to end users.
• Coordinates and leads the installation, testing, maintenance and upgrade of software according to vendor procedures and City configurations
• Identifies and documents system deficiencies and recommends solutions
• Leads the development and delivery of both technical documentation and end-user training material for assigned applications
• Provides end-user training on systems and processes
• Designs reports from various databases using Crystal Reports, SQL Server Reporting Services, and/or other reporting tools
• Provides project management for assigned technical projects and develops communications strategies for stakeholders in alignment with PMI and PMBOK methods
• Researches and stays current on technologies and their application to the organization
• Validation that projects and systems are meeting the end-user's needs and requirements
• Prepares process documentation, deliverables and other related documents
• Participate in on-call after hours support team
• Document all work products and progress in the IT Service Management System
• Ensure service level commitments are met to internal and external customers
• All employees must model and demonstrate the City Values at all times during the course of employment; to include: Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Respect and Excellence
Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or closely related field and at least six years of experience in similar role required. Extensive experience in technical analysis, application administration, project management, technical documentation and quality management is required. Experience in a similar role in local government is desired. Business analyst, project management or related technical certifications desired. Experience and training in ITIL with ITIL Foundations Certification preferred. CJIS certified or ability to obtain certification within 30 days of employment. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong knowledge to perform data analysis, conversion and cleanup functions
• Strong knowledge of the principles and practices of business analysis, business process improvement, project management and ITIL
• Strong knowledge of the city-wide and departmental business practices, processes, and challenges
• Strong knowledge of city-wide and departmental technology solutions and software
• Strong knowledge of the terminology, principles and methods utilized within the Information Technology Department
• Strong knowledge of systems analysis and requirements gathering
• Working knowledge of project management methodologies and practices – PMI preferred
• Working knowledge and advanced proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite
• Working knowledge of Office365 suite of products
• Strong knowledge of application administration and Tier 2/3 support
• Working knowledge of the current Microsoft Server and Desktop Operating Systems
• Strong knowledge of Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS)- MS SQL preferred
• Skill in identifying and clarifying problems
• Skill in analyzing and synthesizing large volumes of data
• Strong time management and organizational skills
• Strong facilitation and team building skills
• Ability to maintain a positive attitude in lieu of setbacks and difficult assignments
• Ability to elicit technical and business requirements and obtain an in-depth understanding of target issues
• Ability to identify and recommend areas for improvement including work process and technical systems
• Ability to facilitate change within the organization in a positive manor
• Ability to effectively handle multiple projects, changing requirements and priorities
• Ability to communicate difficult information respectfully and tactfully
• Ability to communicate technical information in writing and verbally using non-technical language
• Ability to decompose high-level information into details and abstract up from low-level information to a more general understanding
- Equipment Used, Work Environment and Physical Activities
• Driving: May need, or have ability, to drive a city or personal vehicle in the normal course of business
• Office Equipment: Daily use of computer, keyboard, copier, scanner, printer, calculator, phone (desk and cell). Daily use of software programs including Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Word, Excel.
• Other Equipment: None
• Physical Activities: Sits for long periods of time; light physical activity that may include walking, sitting, standing, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and carrying
• Lifting: Occasionally lifts, carries, and exerts up to 25 pounds
• Vision & Hearing: Must have visual acuity to see and read paper and electronic documents. Must be able to answer telephones, communicate conversation and respond to verbal inquires.
• Exposure to Environmental Conditions: Position generally works in an office setting with overhead lighting and long periods of screen time. Work may be performed in precarious or tight spaces.
• Schedule: Position generally scheduled Monday – Friday. May require attendance at off-site meetings
• Additional working conditions: None
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications. Employees are accountable for all duties associated with this position.