City of Commerce City
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Summer Camp Youth/Teen Director
at City of Commerce City
Pay: $15.08 to $16.01/hour
$15.08 - $16.01
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 2307459
Categories: Management - Mid-Level (Manager, Director)
Overall Job Objective
- General Purpose
Under the supervision of the recreation coordinator Youth/Teen Directors coordinate, supervise, plan and implement activities for recreation programs for children 6-17yrs and family programs.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- • Strong ability to perform job duties autonomously• Research, develop and implement age-appropriate lesson plans and activities for programs, which promote school age and teen development among participants• Act as site supervisor during program hours• Supervise and direct staff in programs• Responsible for care and safety of participants and guests during program hours, maintaining safe environment at all times and notifying supervisor of any hazards/security issues as soon as possible• Respond to emergency situations as required and maintain accurate reporting• Evaluate and document student performance and growth, relaying participant performance and growth to parents through both oral and written evaluation, when needed• Drive City vehicle and/or 14 passenger van, transporting participants to and from field trips and excursions• Compose parent letters/information for communication• Maintain accurate participant files (medical records, permission slips, etc)• Maintain stock of necessary supplies• Maintain a clean and organized program area• Assist in completing evaluations of program staff• Must comply with the Colorado Department of Human Services, Division of Early Childcare and Learning Licensing Rules and Regulations and Tri-County Health Department, when programs require• Must comply with City and departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures• Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age and possess current CPR/First Aid and Medication Administration certificates or be able to obtain them within 10 days of hire date. Must possess current Standard Precautions certification or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire date. Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's License and supply a current Motor Vehicle Record within 10 days of hire date. Must demonstrate an ability to work with youth and/or teens.Must have one of the following with documentation:• A 4-year college degree with a major such as recreation, education with a specialty in art, elementary or early childhood education, or a subject in the human service field, and 12 months (1820 hours) of satisfactory and verifiable experience, since attaining the age of 18, in the care and supervision or 4 or more children, not related to the individual• Two years of college training and 6 months (910 hours) of satisfactory and verifiable experience, since attaining the age of 18, in the care and supervision of 4 or more children, not related to the individual.• Three years (5460 hours) of satisfactory and verifiable experience, since attaining the age of 18, in the care and supervision of 4 or more children.Background check and fingerprinting required. Bilingual in Spanish desired.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Must be highly motivated and take direction well• Must be willing to work evenings, weekends and holidays• Must have a valid Colorado Driver's License and clean driving record• Must have no physical limitations regarding the lifting of items up to 40 pounds• Ability to plan creative youth and teen activities• Demonstrated ability to work with youth and teens• Ability to provide positive mentoring for participants• Ability to work successfully in a team-oriented atmosphere• Well-developed motivation and customer service skills• Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment• Ability to drive a 14 passenger van
- Equipment Used, Work Environment and Physical Activities
- Office equipment: copier, fax machine, laminatorComputer equipment: basic computer usage with Microsoft Office knowledgeOther equipment: Variety of craft supplies, toys, books, and other recreation and learning equipment;First Aid Supplies; Stereo systems; Phone; Still camera or video camera; Gaming systemsLanguage skills: Requires ability to read a variety of documents, activity books, and children's storiesAbility to record and deliver information in a teaching or instruction setting. Is able to follow verbal and written instructionMathematical skills: NoneReasoning ability: Ability to deal with people beyond receiving instructions.Physical activities: May include bending, sitting, stooping, squatting, walking, standing, runningLifting: Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.Vision and hearing: Ability to differentiate between colors and shades of colors; eye hand coordination; depth perceptionExposure to environmental conditions:Must be adaptable to performing under high stress situations or when confronted with emergenciesWorks in various recreational settings where exposure to any of the following may be possible:• Noise--sufficient noise to cause distraction or possible hearing loss• Atmospheric conditions--conditions that affect the skin or respiratory system• Potential exposure to hazardous anesthetic agents, body fluids and wastes• Potential exposure to infections and contagious disease• Subject to varying, unpredictable and emergency situations
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications. Employees are accountable for all duties associated with this position.