City of Commerce City
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Youth/Teen Leader I/II
at City of Commerce City
- General Purpose
Under the supervision of the recreation coordinator and/or Youth/Teen Director, Leaders plan and implement activities for school age recreation programs for children 6-17 years and family programs.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- • Responsible for the set-up, clean up and implementation of lesson plans and activities for programs• Demonstrate age appropriate crafts and activities which will promote growth and development among participants• Responsible for care and safety of participants and guests during programs, maintaining a safe environment and notifying supervisor of any hazards/security issues as soon as possible• May drive City vehicle and/or 14 passenger van, transporting participants to and from field trips and excursions• Comply with the Colorado Department of Human Services, Division of Early Childcare and Learning Licensing Rules and Regulations, when program requires• Must comply with City and departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures• Effectively develop rapport and coach participants• Request supplies as needed for programs• Stay up to date with youth/teen trends to plan and implement activities• Manage multiple tasks for a variety of age groups in gameroom, gym, pool and other areas of the recreation center, as well as off-site centers and field trips• Performs other duties as assigned.Leader II• Acts as site supervisor during program times when coordinator or director is not available• Works with director to oversee the cleaning and maintenance schedule of toys and equipment• Assist with maintaining current files for participants (licensing and/or permission slips, medical records, etc)• Develop lesson plans when no director is established• Assist director to relay participant performance and growth to parents through both oral and written communication
- Minimum Qualifications
Must be a minimum of 18 years of age for youth programs, 21 years of age for teen programs. Must possess current CPR/First Aid and Medication Administration certificates or be able to obtain them within 10 days of hire date. Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's License and supply a current Motor Vehicle Record within 10 days of hire date. Must possess current Standard Precautions certification or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire date. Must demonstrate an ability to work well with children. Background check and fingerprinting required. Bilingual in Spanish desired.
Three (3) months (455 hours) of verified experience in the care and supervision of children ages 6-17, who are not related to the individual.
At least 21 years of age, two (2) years of college, and twelve (12) months (1820 hours) of verified experience, since obtaining the age of 18, in the care and supervision of children ages 6-17, who are not related to the individual.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Must be highly motivated and take direction well• Must be willing to work evenings, weekends and holidays• Must have a valid Colorado Driver's License and clean driving record• Must have no physical limitations regarding the lifting of items up to 40 pounds• Ability to plan creative age appropriate activities• Demonstrated ability to work with children• Ability to provide positive mentoring for participants• Ability to work successfully in a team-oriented atmosphere• Well-developed motivation and customer service skills• Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment• Ability to drive a 14 passenger van, when assignment requires
- Equipment Used, Work Environment and Physical Activities
- Office equipment: basic office equipment including computer, laminator, and copy machineComputer equipment: basic knowledge of Microsoft OfficeOther equipment: Variety of craft supplies, toys, books, and other preschool learning equipment; First Aid Supplies; Stereo systems; Phone; Still camera or video cameraLanguage skills: Requires ability to read a variety of documents, activity books, and children's storiesAbility to record and deliver information in a teaching or instruction setting. Is able to follow verbal and written instructionMathematical skills: ability to count to 100Reasoning ability: Ability to deal with people beyond receiving instructions.Physical activities: May include bending, sitting, stooping, squatting, walking, standing, runningLifting: Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.Vision and hearing: Ability to differentiate between colors and shades of colors; eye-hand coordination; depth perceptionExposure to environmental conditions:Must be adaptable to performing under high stress situations or when confronted with emergenciesWorks in various recreational settings where exposure to any of the following may be possible:• Noise--sufficient noise to cause distraction or possible hearing loss• Atmospheric conditions--conditions that affect the skin or respiratory system• Potential exposure to hazardous anesthetic agents, body fluids and wastes• Potential exposure to infections and contagious disease• Subject to varying, unpredictable and emergency situationsThis job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications. Employees are accountable for all duties associated with this position.