City of Denver Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Arts & Culture Fall Instructors - Preschool, Visual Arts, Piano, Creative Writing & Sewing
at City of Denver Government
About Our Job
Denver Parks & Recreation offers Arts & Culture programming throughout the year at many of our 30 recreation centers. We offer a wide variety of classes in areas such as: fine arts, pottery, ceramics, sewing, music, dance, creative writing and a wide range of crafts and creative early childhood programming (18 month – 5 year olds), youth programming (6-18), and adult programs (18+), Our Recreation Instructors lead classes of 4-12 participants through a preset schedule of weekly sessions in order to become familiar and confident in the topic area of choice. Our programming offers our Instructors the opportunity to teach a variety of age groups including: preschool, grade school, teens, adults, and seniors.
Our Arts & Culture Department is looking to bring on several new instructors for our expanding class offerings. We are looking for instructors who are interested in leading one or more of the following activities:
- Mini Picassos: Inspiring children through hands-on art, Mini Picassos is designed to provide an opportunity for children to use their imagination and creativity to develop fine motor skills all while learning the basic principles of art such as colors, shapes and texture.
- Preschool Pottery: Children and parents are instructed together in a fun, encouraging environment through a variety of basic clay techniques such as slab, coil, and pinch.
- Music & Movement: Children will take part in a social setting while learning sing along songs, circle time games, dance, music and playtime activities. Parental participation is required in the parent-child style class.
- Youth Arts & Crafts: Youth participants learn a variety of arts basics through craft activities and fun painting projects such as DIY Create! Canvas Painting, Acrylic Pour Painting, Drawing and more.
- Youth Sewing: Youth participants will learn the basics of sewing techniques including cross stitch, embroidery, and machine sewing.
- Youth Piano Instruction
- Painting: Adults will learn basic acrylic painting techniques on canvas with experienced artist teacher through a variety of guiding painting activities and one-day Step by Step Painting classes.
- Drawing: Help participants learn the joys of drawing and sketching by guiding them on a few drawing techniques such as quick sketches, washes, blending, color, composition and more.
- Precious Metal Clay: Teach Precious Metal Clay Classes, making kiln fired jewelry with a specialty metal infused clay.
- Creative Writing: Help adults learn how to express themselves in writing and spoken compositions through a variety of reading, spoken word, writing analysis, weekly themes and critics.
- Adult Piano Instruction
We are looking for Instructors of a variety of times, days, and locations and continuing on a weekly basis through each season.
Please include in your resume, Cover Letter, or Some Other Attachment which of the above class(es) you are interested in leading including a description of your relevant artistic and/or teaching experience in that area.
This is an on-call position which will work no more than 39 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits. On-call positions may have routine or variable work schedules. In addition to class time instructors receive additional paid hours for planning, set-up, and break down time. Our hiring rate for instructors is $14.74 to $15.50 per hour dependent on experience and qualifications.
Our Fall Instructors must have a passion and knowledge of arts & culture activities, and should possess strong skills in communication and organization. We are looking for candidates who are enthusiastic in teaching youth and/or adults and are able to engage participants in a classroom setting.
Additionally, our ideal candidate will possess one or more of the following:
- Associate's degree or higher in a creative arts field (such as fine arts, crafts, performing arts, music, etc.) or childhood education/development or a directly related field
- Have taken classes in a creative arts field such as, but not limited to: fine arts, crafts, performing arts, music, or a directly related field
- Experience with early childhood education
- Proficiency in one or more of the following arts & culture elements: Music - vocal and/or instrumental, dance, theater, crafts, visual art, painting, drawing, clay-molding,
- Prior experience planning, managing or coordinating creative arts programming
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification
- Bilingual skills
We realize that your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you have the following minimum qualifications:
Education: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate
Experience: One (1) year of experience in assisting in the operation and instruction of organized recreation activities
Licensures/Certification(s): Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. Requires certification in CPR/First Aid within 6 months of hire. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
About Everything Else
Job ProfileCA2583 Recreation Instructor
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range$14.74 - $21.52
Starting Pay$14.74 - $15.50 / hour based on experience and qualifications
AgencyParks and Recreation
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
The secret is out: Denver is the nation's top place to live, work, and play. Being the best place to live isn't easy; maintaining such a reputation means we need the best people working for the residents of Denver. People who want to make a difference; people who want to give back; people who want to be at the heart of this city and have a hand in creating our future. When you join us, you will employ your unique skills to do important and meaningful work critical to the success of both your organization and the city as a whole. Be a part of the city that you love. #WhereDenverWorks
For more information about our hiring process including ADA resources, assessments and testing, pre-employment, and onboarding, click here.