City of Denver Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Associate Accountant - Denver Police Department
at City of Denver Government
About Our Job
Posting will close on July 3, 2019.
About Our Job
The Denver Police Department is currently seeking an Associate Accountant to engage in daily department accounting functions to support business operations.
This position will be located at the Police Administration Building at 1331 Cherokee Street and will be scheduled during regular business hours.
Job responsibilities include:
- Employee has primary responsibility for the Department’s purchasing process. The employee must process all requisitions with completeness, verifying availability of funds, inputting into the financial system including all applicable attachments required in the purchasing process.
- Employee must review open encumbrance report to ensure the purchasing system maintains current information. Employee must maintain thorough understanding the City procurement rules and effectively communicate policies and procedures to Department staff.
- Employee serves as Head Cashier by completing daily deposits, reconciling cash deposits in the general ledger, performs posting of all of electronic fund transfers, monitors all cash receipt points for proper segregation of duties and secure internal control processes.
- Employee must run queries and revenue reports to be used as reconciliation for general fund revenues and grant drawdown requests. Employee will produce reports tracking Department general fund revenue on at least a monthly basis.
- Employee will process PCard, Travel and Department Card requests and transaction. Employee must maintain accurate transaction records for each transaction, complete monthly reconciliation and verification of each transactions. Employee must maintain thorough understanding of City credit card rules and effectively communicate policies and procedures to Department staff.
- Employee will participate in the annual budget preparation process and provide expertise on historical costing, forecasting and budget projection methodologies in order to suggest appropriate budget allocations.
- The employee will participate in the review of expansion/reduction requests and provide any necessary financial analysis in order to support sound fiscal recommendations during the budget process. The employee will complete the annual budget input in the City budget software.
- Employee may complete accounts payable, procurement reconciliation to the general ledger for the DPD general fund and grant funds. Employee will use knowledge of the financial system to establish and maintain query and report capabilities to the maximum potential.
- Employee must understand the reconciliation process, pivot tables and ensure report formulas, sums, etc. are valid in order to produce valid and accurate reports.
- Employee will participate in programmatic and financial monitoring of all Department contracts to ensure vendor compliance and accurate payments in accordance with contractual scope of work requirements.
- Employee will develop and maintain a vendor compliance monitoring system to communicate internally and with City Purchasing as needed.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong communication, organization and analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and work in a busy environment
- Demonstrated ability in problem solving, multitasking and time management
- 2-4 years in accounting
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
- Experience: One (1) year of professional level accounting experience reconciling accounting discrepancies, analyzing expenditures, and preparing financial reports.
- Education and Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
About Everything Else
Job ProfileCV2461 Accountant Associate
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range$56,083.00 - $89,733.00
AgencyDenver Police Department
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
The secret is out: Denver is the nation's top place to live, work, and play. Being the best place to live isn't easy; maintaining such a reputation means we need the best people working for the residents of Denver. People who want to make a difference; people who want to give back; people who want to be at the heart of this city and have a hand in creating our future. When you join us, you will employ your unique skills to do important and meaningful work critical to the success of both your organization and the city as a whole. Be a part of the city that you love. #WhereDenverWorks
For more information about our hiring process including ADA resources, assessments and testing, pre-employment, and onboarding, click here.