City of Denver Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Certified Fitness Instructors – Downtown Fitness Center
at City of Denver Government
About Our Job
Our Recreation Division operates 30 recreation centers offering affordable facilities, programs and activities to residents and visitors year-round. Our Denver Employee Fitness Center (DEFC) located in the Wellington Webb Building (201 W Colfax Ave) is an integral part of our city employee benefits providing in-house fitness opportunities for city employees. Located in the heart of Downtown Denver, the Center has an extensive fitness schedule and several amenities enjoyed by our city employees and is open from 5:00am – 7:00pm on weekdays and 8:00am-2:00pm on Saturdays. You can learn more about us at the Employee Fitness Center information page.
With increasing demand for services, we are looking to expand our team of DEFC Certified Fitness Instructors to help us grow our fitness schedule and provide hands-on Personal Training to our city employees. A variety of hours, positions, and class opportunities are available from one session a week to a full schedule of classes and clients.
Our Certified Fitness Instructors will:
- Develop exercise programs designed for a variety of levels and lead clients through workouts in individual, small group, and/or large group settings
- Demonstrate appropriate modifications of exercises and assist clients in setting attainable goals
- Perform consultations and fitness assessments on clients and potential clients
- Assist in recruitment, retention, program marketing, and special events
- Provide professional, safe and effective demonstrations while offering ongoing motivation and feedback to clients
- Create enthusiastic and energetic workout environments while providing specific emphasis on safety and proper execution of movements
- Demonstrate a strong working knowledge of cardiovascular and resistance training instruction, flexibility training, functional training, safety/spotting, fitness testing, and general nutrition
- Demonstrate professional, safe, and effective class instruction while offering ongoing motivation and feedback to class participants
- Instruct classes in formats such as: Yoga, step aerobics, Hi/Lo aerobics, interval training, sports performance, strength training, Pilates, indoor cycling, core conditioning, Essentrics, Zumba, OULA®, INSANITY®, and/or Barre
- Meet the outstanding customer service standards of Denver Parks and Recreation
- Keep current on all certifications and industry practices
- Keep a schedule of times to train participants in the mornings, evenings, and/or weekends
- Maintain attendance records for classes and training sessions; distributes and collects class and training evaluations as requested
- Comply with employee procedures and expectations as detailed in the employee manual
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested
This is an on-call position which will work no more than 39 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits. On-call positions may have routine or variable work schedules. This position will work an average of 39 hours per week.
These positions work in the Wellington Webb Building. Parking reimbursement and compensation are not provided; however, the Webb Building has a covered parking lot free for bicycle storage and is well connected to all major public transportation options.
We are looking for knowledgeable and enthusiastic Certified Fitness Instructors who can provide engaging programming, with an eye for safety and fun! Our ideal candidate will be a well-rounded Fitness professional experienced in working with highly professional clientele and excited about the opportunity to build classes and programming from conception to success.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Current certification as a Group Fitness Instructor or Personal Trainer by a nationally recognized organization (such as but not limited to: ACE or AFAA) OR a current specialty fitness certification (such as but not limited to Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, Essentrics®, or cycling) by a nationally recognized organization
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification
- Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science, Community Health, Exercise Physiology or related field
- Experience as a Certified Group Fitness Instructor or Certified Personal Trainer in an organized, specialized recreation or commercial fitness program
We realize that your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you possess the following minimum requirements:
- Education: Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate
- Experience: None
- Licensures/Certification(s): Certification as an instructor and/or trainer in yoga, step aerobics, kick boxing, bootcamp, hip-hop, interval training, sports performance, strength training, Pilates, Zumba, indoor cycling, core conditioning or any fitness area by a nationally recognized organization. Requires certification in CPR/First Aid at the time of application or within six months of hire date. Licensure and certification must be kept current as a condition of employment
- Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
About Everything Else
Job ProfileRG2111 Fitness Instructor Certified
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range$20.25 - $27.74
AgencyParks and Recreation
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
The secret is out: Denver is the nation's top place to live, work, and play. Being the best place to live isn't easy; maintaining such a reputation means we need the best people working for the residents of Denver. People who want to make a difference; people who want to give back; people who want to be at the heart of this city and have a hand in creating our future. When you join us, you will employ your unique skills to do important and meaningful work critical to the success of both your organization and the city as a whole. Be a part of the city that you love. #WhereDenverWorks
For more information about our hiring process including ADA resources, assessments and testing, pre-employment, and onboarding, click here.