City of Denver Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Crime Scene Investigator I - Denver Police Department
at City of Denver Government
About Our Job
The City and County of Denver is currently seeking a Crime Scene Investigator I to work within the Forensics and Evidence Division-Denver Police Department.
The Denver Police Crime Scene Unit investigates criminal cases ranging from property crimes to crimes against persons within the City and County of Denver. Each year the unit responds to over four thousand crime scenes.
This is the entry-level class in the Crime Scene Investigations classification series. This class provides support to Police Officers, Detectives, Prosecuting and Defense Attorneys in processing crime scenes as directed by senior Crime Scene Investigators or Crime Scene Supervisors. Work performed in the field is often subject to challenging and unpredictable situations, to include extreme weather conditions and difficult environments.
Ability to work on weekends, varying shifts, holidays and call-out is required to accomplish the mission of the Denver Police Forensics and Evidence Division.
Job responsibilities include:
- Receives comprehensive instruction to identify, collect, preserve, and package biological evidence, friction ridge evidence, impression evidence, and other physical evidence according to established standards and existing standard operating procedures.
- Documents crime scenes using various forensic techniques and processes including digital photography, digital video, laser scanning, and diagrams.
- Attends autopsies at the Denver Office of Medical Examiner to photograph injuries and assist with the collection of physical evidence.
- Prepares technical departmental reports.
- Maintains proper chain of custody on evidence.
- Testifies in court regarding the details of involvement with crime scene processing.
- Performs other duties as assigned by superiors.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong scientific background
- Demonstrate analytical skills
- Ability to perform well under pressure
- Be effective at managing a large and dynamic call load
- Excellent communication
- Strong attention to detail
- A team mentality
- Flexible in all aspects of work life
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice, Chemistry, Biology, or a related field
Experience: One year of experience in crime scene processing that includes the techniques generally used in crime scene documentation and processing.
Education/Experience Equivalency: One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
Licensure and/or Certification: By position, requires a valid driver's license at the time of application.
Ability to obtain applicable IAI Certified Crime Scene Investigator (Level 1) certification within two years of employment.
Condition of Employment: It is a condition of employment that the Denver Police Forensics and Evidence Division form for consent for collection of a DNA sample be completed at the time of hire.
About Everything Else
Job ProfileCE2825 Crime Scene Investigator I
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range$24.66 - $36.00
AgencyDenver Police Department
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
The secret is out: Denver is the nation's top place to live, work, and play. Being the best place to live isn't easy; maintaining such a reputation means we need the best people working for the residents of Denver. People who want to make a difference; people who want to give back; people who want to be at the heart of this city and have a hand in creating our future. When you join us, you will employ your unique skills to do important and meaningful work critical to the success of both your organization and the city as a whole. Be a part of the city that you love. #WhereDenverWorks
For more information about our hiring process including ADA resources, assessments and testing, pre-employment, and onboarding, click here.