City of Denver Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
IT Systems Architect – Technology Services
at City of Denver Government
About Our Job
The Technology Services Department (TS) of the City and County of Denver is using state-of-the-art technologies and methodologies to deliver and improve the systems, applications and operations that we deliver to our customers. Technology Services supports the people, agencies and ideas that make the City and County of Denver world class city. The City offers a unique opportunity to work with a diverse business and technology environment on a large scale as we employ over 12,000 people, of which 9,000+ are daily technology consumers in support of a diverse population in excess of 500,000 citizens.
In Technology Services, our mission is to improve city performance through four basic strategies: reliability, innovation, access and partnership. In this IT Systems Architect role, you will play a fundamental role in defining and implementing the City’s strategy and architecture in the following areas:
- Cloud/hosted services - SaaS/PaaS/IaaS
- Highly Available Infrastructure
- Converged and hyper-converged infrastructures
- Service Automation
- Linux and Windows OS’s
- SAN and NAS
- Backups and Disaster Recovery
Utilizing your expertise, you will collaborate with the Security, Network and Application teams to develop strategies and roadmaps, solution architecture(s), establish processes and implement best practices.
Additionally, in this IT Systems Architect position, you will:
- Lead Technology Services in defining, designing, implementing, and maturing our IT systems and processes
- Partner with other architects in Technology Services to define our datacenter strategy
- Design and implement our virtualization and storage strategies
- Oversee our backup and replication strategies to ensure DR goals are met
- Facilitate meetings with stakeholders to collect and validate information about current state environments
- Facilitate meetings with stakeholders to collect design requirements for future state systems and processes
- Conduct research to identify and compare solutions with the goal of increasing the delivery velocity (mean time to delivery) of infrastructure and systems
- Analyze complex or ambiguous challenges and/or requirements and recommend potential solutions
- Serve as a mentor to junior team members, contributing to studies and proposals, generate intellectual capital, providing training as necessary and building and maintaining trusted relationships with co-workers and peers
- Manage relationships with partners and vendors to conduct research, define statement(s) of work, build project timelines, and hold them accountable for deliverables
- Develop and communicate strategies and roadmaps, project timelines, deliverables and obstacles as they arise
- Collaborate across technology domains to effectively develop enterprise-class solutions
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible because this posting may close without advanced notice.
Our Ideal Candidate has:
- Strong experience with virtualization required, preferably VMware.
- Strong experience with block and file-based storage a must
- Experience in developing technology strategy and roadmaps across infrastructure layers using SAAS, IAAS, & PAAS services necessary, Azure preferred.
- Proven experience in architecting highly available infrastructure across geographically disperse data centers.
- Proven experience designing and implementing disaster recovery plans.
- Delivering leadership as a hands-on expert, recognized for their experience, demonstrating both formal and informal influence on the direction of technology adoption
- Experience leading large and complex solution delivery programs or projects
- Project and program management planning and organizational skills
- Ability to handle complexity and ambiguity, and provide structure to complex problems
- Ability to effectively present and explain information to various group sizes and levels of knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and plan work activities, using time efficiently and developing realistic action plans
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information and records with a high degree of discretion, diligence, and good judgment
- Service automation experience a plus, preferably Ansible
We recognize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Business Administration, Mathematics, or a related field.
- Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of professional information technology experience installing, maintaining, and/or modifying operating system and/or network operating system software and associated hardware. Two of these years must include experience in designing and implementing enterprise level systems and scalable solutions
- Education & Experience Requirement: One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
About Everything Else
Job ProfileCI2214 IT Systems Architect
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range$97,129.00 - $155,406.00
Starting Pay$115,000-$130,000 based on qualifications and experience
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
The secret is out: Denver is the nation's top place to live, work, and play. Being the best place to live isn't easy; maintaining such a reputation means we need the best people working for the residents of Denver. People who want to make a difference; people who want to give back; people who want to be at the heart of this city and have a hand in creating our future. When you join us, you will employ your unique skills to do important and meaningful work critical to the success of both your organization and the city as a whole. Be a part of the city that you love. #WhereDenverWorks
For more information about our hiring process including ADA resources, assessments and testing, pre-employment, and onboarding, click here.