City of Denver Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Locksmith - Denver Sheriff Department
at City of Denver Government
About Our Job
Please Note: This position will remain open until it has been filled. Please apply as soon as possible.
The Denver Sheriff Department is the largest Sheriff Department agency in the state of Colorado and is comprised of many divisions and diverse operations with over 1000 uniformed and non-uniformed staff members. These operations include two separate jails, security for the District and County court systems, state inmate transportation, extradition duties, fugitive and K-9 units and security at DenverHealth Medical Center.
Are you searching for a job in the “Trades” that offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and a retirement plan?
Look no further! We are now accepting applications for a Locksmith to join its Maintenance Division. This position will have a schedule of working 4 consecutive 10 hour shifts. This position will work at various locations including the Denver County Jail and the new Van Cise Simonet detention facilities. Because this position does work in the detention facilities, the selected individual will be working around detainees/inmates. Our facilities operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so applicants must be flexible and willing to work various shifts.
This position will primarily reside at the County Jail located on 10500 Smith Road Denver, CO.
Successful candidates must complete and pass a background investigation that encompasses the applicant's employment and criminal history.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Plans, installs, repairs and maintains all types of locks, including electrical exit, remote control devices, door locks, padlocks, elevator locks, emergency exit doors, and security lock systems at various levels of security.
- Knowledge of locksmithing, including electrical and security, systems sufficient to be able to plan, install and maintain locks.
- Recodes locks which involve changing pins and tumblers to avoid a breach of security.
- Skill in recoding locks.
- Maintains detailed records of coding locks and logging all work done on each lock. May utilize a computer to maintain key control information.
- Skill in maintaining and organizing files, records and documents.
- Skill in filling out forms and completing paperwork related to the work assignment.
- Maintains inventory and orders necessary parts, replacement locks, pin keys and key blanks.
- Knowledge of inventory techniques sufficient to be able to maintain adequate levels of supplies.
- Formulates new lock systems for new and expanding departments.
- Disassembles faulty locks using hand tools, replaces defective or worn parts, cleans and lubricates parts, reassembles, and tests locking devices.
- Knowledge of safety hazards and necessary safety precautions sufficient to be able to establish a safe work environment for self and others.
- Skill in using hand tools and equipment common to maintenance and repair work.
- Performs basic maintenance and repair work in a variety of skilled trades work.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested such as general facility and tool maintenance/repair.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- CML (Certified Master Locksmith) rating/certification
- Experience with detention grade locks desired
- Comfortable with working in a jail setting
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability/desire to learn other skills
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education Requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: Two (2) years of experience setting up, installing, and maintaining large key systems.
- Education & Experience Equivalency: A combination of appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirement.
About Everything Else
Job ProfileCJ2551 Locksmith
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range$20.25 - $29.57
AgencyDenver Sheriff Department
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
The secret is out: Denver is the nation's top place to live, work, and play. Being the best place to live isn't easy; maintaining such a reputation means we need the best people working for the residents of Denver. People who want to make a difference; people who want to give back; people who want to be at the heart of this city and have a hand in creating our future. When you join us, you will employ your unique skills to do important and meaningful work critical to the success of both your organization and the city as a whole. Be a part of the city that you love. #WhereDenverWorks
For more information about our hiring process including ADA resources, assessments and testing, pre-employment, and onboarding, click here.