City of Greeley, CO
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Greeley, CO
- Job Summary
This position will work as both a Xeric Garden Groundskeeper and an Irrigation Audit Laborer.
Xeric Garden Groundskeeper:
Do you love being outdoors and smelling the flowers and getting dirt under your nails? This seasonal position will be responsible for helping to maintain a ¾ acre Xeriscape Garden. We are looking for responsible, self-motivated individual to assist in keeping the garden in top condition throughout the growing season. It includes, planting, weeding, irrigation system maintenance, trash pickup, and some special construction projects. You will also be responsible for being the face of Greeley at the garden and being courteous and knowledgeable about the garden. Hours will can be flexible but generally morning into afternoon. Monday through Friday with some optional Saturday events.
Irrigation Audit Laborer:
Do you enjoy being outside and getting physical activity? You will definitely get your steps in doing irrigation system audits for Greeley water customers. Duties include assisting with irrigation audits, recording sprinkler programs, reading catch can data, soil sampling, installing sprinkler clocks and sensors. You may also help with reminding customers about their appointments and sending reports. Knowledge of irrigation systems is a plus but will train the right person.
Generally from April until November, 20-30 hours per week. May require attendance at some Saturday events (will be given advance notice).
- Experience, Knowledge, Skills
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Knowledge of horticulture, irrigation and/or gardening.
- Knowledge of sprinkler systems, running them and repairing them.
- Good communication skills in person and on phone.
- Ability to work alone as well as on a team.
- Clean, neat appearance.
- Good organizational skills and work ethic; ability to prioritize work schedule, daily, weekly and projects.
- Able to follow direction and follow through on duties.
- Must be able to pass a drug test.
- Essential Functions
- Planting annuals, perennials, trees or shrubs.
- Deadheading blooms.
- Watering by hand and with irrigation system.
- Maintaining compost bins.
- Minor pruning, mowing and trimming.
- Possible construction projects.
- Maintenance of hardscape, sweeping, flagstone, rocks or gravel.
- Painting /staining on wood.
- Keeping track of tools and equipment current information.
- Visiting with customers and answering their questions.
- Educational events occasionally on weekends.
- Hanging holiday lights.
- May occasionally be asked to assist in the office with phone, filing, or other duties if weather is inclement.
- Emptying trash, refilling dog poop bags, picking up trash within garden.
- Helping to schedule audits; sending reminder cards; following up with phone calls if needed.
- Assisting with audit, reading catch cans, reading sprinkler clock schedules.
- Soil sampling.
- Answering questions and educating customers.
- Answer phone calls and assisting customers.
- Work Environment and Physical Requirements
- Work is performed mainly outdoors in a variety of weather.
- Ability to lift 35-50 pounds.
- Ability to climb ladders.
- Ability to stoop, bend, and kneel while working on the ground.
- Ability to lift and hold.
- Ability to use small power equipment, i.e. drill, mower, rototiller, blower or other small equipment items.