City of Lakewood
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Variable Specialized Instructor - Group Exercise
at City of Lakewood
- Job Summary
City of Lakewood's Statement of Excellence
The City of Lakewood is dedicated to upholding City values to include: Performance Excellence, Leadership, Respect and Collaboration. Best fit candidates will demonstrate innovation, customer service, dedication, passion and engagement. All people, citizens and employees, will be treated with respect, relevance, and importance.
Early morning class instructor needed, 6:00 am, Thursdays at Charles Whitlock Recreation Center. Group Fitness Instructors can teach at any of the four recreation centers for the City of Lakewood. This position is directly supervised by the Fitness Specialist and Fitness Coordinator, and will assist in a variety of areas, including, but not limited to:
- Instruct aerobic-based group fitness classes to community members. Formats offered by the fitness program include, but are not limited to, low-impact aerobics, senior exercise programs, including Tai Chi, SilverSneakers classes, circuit training, strength training, Zumba, Group Cycle, Yoga and Pilates.
- Educate participants on proper and safe exercise form.
- Enforce policies and procedures in group fitness activity areas. Execute risk management plan.
- Maintain group exercise certification.
- Major Tasks, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Group Fitness Instructor: ACE, AFAA, ACSM & YMCA
- Cycle Instructor: nationally recognized certification
- Bodypump™- CXWORX, Les Mills certification
- Boot Camp- Personal Training certification or Group Fitness Certification
- Zumba®- Zumba certification
- Silversneakers®- Silversneakers® certification
- Fall Prevention Classes- Certification by accredited Fall Prevention Program.
Receives general supervision from the Fitness & Wellness Coordinator and Fitness Specialist.
- Essential Qualifications
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Experience working with a wide array of populations and/or conditions.
- Minimum of 6 months teaching experience.
Current CPR and First Aid certification.
*refer to specific certification requirements above
- KSA's and Physical/Mental Reqs
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Awareness and recognition of exercise contraindications
- Adherence to class format
- Reliable and punctual
- Recognition of safety concerns
- Working knowledge and aptitude in fitness.
- Possess strong customer service and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate
- Ability to make sound decisions.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to use a computer, knowledge of Microsoft Word and/or time entry system
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other City personnel and the general public.
- Experience in large group presentations highly recommended
- Ability to recognize deficiencies in class and make necessary modifications as needed
- Proficient in teaching to the beat of the music (32-count) *
- Willingness to encourage participation in other fitness programs offered by the City of Lakewood
*Group Fitness and Silversneakers®
Fitness equipment (weights/bands/balls)