City of Northglenn
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Northglenn
- Nature of Work
- The City of Northglenn Planning and Development Department is seeking to fill a Senior Planner position to lead, support and implement a variety of projects in various stages of completion, as well as projects programmed to begin in the next 1-4 years. The position will have a high emphasis on long-range plan development, administrating long range planning projects, such as the Comprehensive Plan Update, Bike Ped Mobility Implementation, and Sustainability Programing and Implementation. Additionally, the position will be actively engaged in program administration for multiple programs including but not limited to Healthy Eating Active Living (HEAL) initiatives, and CDBG program administration.
This position will play an important role as part of the Planning and Development team. They will be responsible for carrying out the City's vision through creating innovative community plans and studies that ensure a safe, responsible and sustainable future while applying implementation strategies to achieve the vision established in these plans as well as facilitating community consensus in public forums. The Senior Planner position reports directly to the Planning Manager.
About the City, Department & Opportunity for the Positions
The City of Northglenn is a mid-size Colorado city, located in the heart of the Denver Metro Region, encompassing approximately 7.45 square miles. The City is a suburban community of approximately 39,000. The City is nearly built out, and most future opportunities will be in redevelopment, creating both challenges and exciting opportunities for the community. The Planning & Development Department acts as a catalyst for positive change in the community. The Senior Planner position will work closely with other department staff, under the direction of the Planning Manager, to develop the community's vision and implement this vision through new development and redevelopment and department programming. The Senior Planner position will have the opportunity to interact directly with decision makers and members of the leadership team. This is an opportunity to be part of the Planning and Development team that will help facilitate Northglenn's community vision to meet the needs of both the existing residents and the new and diverse population moving into the community. The Departments mission is to improve the quality of the community through economic vitality, environmental and social sustainability while defining and preserving the community's character.
- Duties and Responsibilities
Desired Skill Sets / Experience
Senior Planner – Long-range - The long range position will be tasked with the administration of programs and projects like the, Healthy Eating Active Living programs (HEAL), comprehensive plan updates, CDBG programs, other subarea plans and policy focused planning as well as shared planner of day duties. The position will be responsible for all aspects of project administration – budgeting and scoping, drafting request for proposals, managing consultants, public engagement and project scheduling and adoption. The position requires a high level accountability, diplomacy, public engagement, an ability to foster and achieve consensus in a public forum, and possess a political acumen and judgment that can understand/interpret elected and appointed officials expectations and direction(s). The position serves as the primary liaison to the following regional partners: Denver Regional Council of Governments, North Area Transit Alliance, ADCOG Subregional Commission; Regional Transportation District, and the Colorado Department of Transportation.
Ideal Candidate - Our ideal candidate is highly flexible, energetic, innovative, and enthusiastic; a self-starter who enjoys challenges and embraces change in a fast paced environment. We are seeking candidates with experience related to all aspects of project and program administration, including but not limited to project budgets, drafting requests for proposals, managing consultants, public engagement and schedule to completion. The candidate will have experience with developing policies that consider impacts to public and fiscal health, social equity as well as environmental sustainability. The new Senior Planner will have the experience and skills to implement the Department priorities, such as:
- Project Administration - for long range planning projects.
- Program Administration – Administration of existing and future programs, including but not limited to Healthy Eating and Active Living and Sustainability Programs.
- CDBG Administration – program and prioritize sub-recipient funding allocation from County
- Grant Writing & Administration – researching and writing of grants form federal, state, and no-profit organizations.
- Public Engagement - Community & Group Facilitation and Consensus Building
- Planner of the Day - The position will also share in Planner of the Day duties – primary understanding of current planning is required.
- Education and Experience
- Qualification Requirements
Successful candidates will demonstrate a solid foundation in planning principles and practices, possess a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in community development, development services, planning or public administration.
Candidates must possess a Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning or another related field (Master's and AICP certification is desirable).
Successful candidate will have excellent communication, interpersonal and mentoring skills, and a strong commitment to providing excellent customer service. Additionally, ideal candidates will be proven self-starters with a strong enthusiasm for the profession, possess excellent organizational skills, and the ability to balance a multi-project workload. A positive customer service orientation, and ability to foster that attitude among co-workers, is essential.
- Supplemental Information
- Must have a valid Colorado Drivers License with a good driving record at time of hire.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screen.
Hiring salary range $66,693-72,941 plus excellent benefits
Position will be posted until filled.
The City of Northglenn offers an employee-friendly environment, excellent health and dental benefits, life insurance, disability plans, flexible spending accounts, retirement plans, a commitment to training and wellness, and a generous paid time off package. Come join our team!