City of Wheat Ridge
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Wheat Ridge
Purpose/summary of the position: This position will work under the general supervision of the Lead Fleet Mechanic and will perform skilled mechanical work for the City's vehicle fleet. Work includes being responsible for the repair and maintenance of a variety of automotive, patrol vehicles, off-road, and heavy duty vehicles and equipment.
Monday thru Friday 7:30am to 4pm
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Examples of Essential and Important duties:
- Inspect, diagnose, maintain service, and repair a variety of heavy and medium duty, and light automotive equipment.
- Perform major and minor repairs including disassembling and overhauling engines, overhauling transmissions and tuning up engines.
- Design or fabricate parts and/or equipment as needed.
- Install, remove, and modify accessory equipment as requested by user departments.
- Use computerized diagnostic equipment to analyze and troubleshoot problems, computer components and emission components.
- Install and adjust brakes, batteries, tires, wiring, and glass.
- Repair transmissions, differentials, carburetors, ignitions, fuel systems, steering systems, starters, generators, universal joints, hydraulic systems.
- Regularly inspect equipment condition, cost of repairs and the preventative maintenance program; spot check equipment for performance in the field.
- Maintain accurate and organized invoices and receipts for monthly reconciliation submittal.
- Performs mandatory emission and/or mechanical inspections as needed.
- Prepare work orders, estimates of time, and requisition parts and materials as needed.
- Make service calls on equipment to perform emergency repairs and conduct road tests on equipment to diagnose any malfunction.
- Study equipment having frequent breakdowns to determine cause and attempt to prevent future occurrences.
- Operate hand and power shop tools to perform repairs and/or to fabricate machine parts or equipment; may do acetylene and electric welding, brazing or cutting of machine parts, or tempering and sharpening of tools.
- Maintain all hand and power tools in safe and efficient operating condition.
- Other duties assigned as appropriate by the position.
- Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
Knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies:
- Vocational Competency- Must have knowledge of tools, materials, equipment, methods and practices essential for maintaining gas and diesel automotive, off road, and heavy duty equipment and vehicles. Must be able to perform skilled maintenance and repair of automotive, off road and heavy duty vehicles/equipment including diagnose mechanical defects. Must be able to design, modify and/or fabricate parts and/or systems.
- Safety: Must have knowledge of occupational hazards and know safety practices and procedures. Must always use and model basic safety practices and procedures.
- Technology- Must be able to operate a computer and mobile phone. Must be able to operate technical mechanic tools and diagnostic equipment. Must have basic knowledge of the Microsoft Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Must be able to work with the TimeClock Plus, VueWorks and other city systems and software.
- Time Management- Must be able to manage multiple projects at a time, and adjust to shifts in priorities. Must be able to estimate and prioritize tasks in a timely manner.
- Recordkeeping: Ability to prepare and maintain simple records including invoices and receipts. Must be able to complete time sheet accurately and in a timely manner.
- Communication- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to follow written and oral instruction. Must be able to develop and maintain effective and efficient working relationships with internal and external customers. Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.
- Education and Training:
- High school diploma or equivalent. Graduation from an automotive training school is preferred.
- Three (3) years of experience as a mechanic working with heavy equipment and/or police patrol lighting and equipment.
- License or Certification:
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification(s) desirable.
- Possess a current and valid driver's license and maintain a good driving record. If you're moving from a different state, your Colorado license must be obtained within (30) days of hire.
- Possess a current and valid Colorado Commercial Class "B" driver's license (CDL) or have the ability to obtain within 180 days from date of hire.
- Education for experience, experience for education or a combination of the two.
- Background check
- Will be required to provide own hand tools.
- Supplemental Information
All team members are expected to adhere to the organizational values of ACTION and are responsible for contributing to the achievements of the organization and department. Team members are expected to continue to grow professionally and to apply their learning to their job setting.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the City of Wheat Ridge not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, age, national origin or disability, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification. The City of Wheat Ridge will consider reasonable accommodations for employment to qualified applicants UPON REQUEST to the Human Resources Office.