Community College of Denver
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
EXCEL! Knowledge Zone Academic Support Tutor, Hourly
at Community College of Denver
Job Title: EXCEL! Knowledge Zone Academic Support Tutor, Hourly
Department: EXCEL! Zone
Pay rate: $12.25-19.15 per hour - commensurate with skills and experience.
Number of openings: 2
Duties and Responsibilities
To support student learning through a variety of student outreach activities such as one-to-one and group tutoring, leading group study, conducting learning strategy workshops, online tutoring, and effective collaboration between staff and departments in a way that contributes to student persistence. This is an on-campus position.
- Provides instruction, training, and resources in order to facilitate student comprehension and transfer of knowledge based on course subject matter.
- Additional duties include general maintenance of learning space.
- Collaborating with work study, keeping up to pace with trends in education, and providing input on program development.
- Student facing; one-to-one, group, or via WebEx.
- Monitor lab environment
- Tutor students one-to-one in specific content area.
- Negotiate an agenda with each student for a given tutoring session.
- Be knowledgeable in the area of study that the Lab supports.
- Follow best practices in tutoring.
- Record content of each tutoring session.
- Guide the learning process in collaboration with the student.
- Help build critical thinking skills through modeling and interaction.
- Facilitate student understanding of their own learning processes and styles.
- Foster an environment that encourages student learning and success.
- Understand and apply guiding principles of the EXCEL! Zone.
- Greet students as they enter the lab and direct them toward the services they seek.
- Communicate directly with Lab Assistants, other Tutors, Coordinators, and Director.
- Resolve problems in the lab when possible.
- Mentor new tutors in collaboration with Coordinator.
- Participate in professional development opportunities.
- Complete EXCEL! Zone training program.
- Degree in course of study applicable to lab content-area.
- Documented tutoring or teaching experience preferred or experience must be related to the field of tutoring.
- Experience in a service environment helpful but not necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must know subject-matter area.
- Must enjoy working with a diverse population and with second language learners.
- Internet navigation skills.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Teaching License or Tutoring Certification Preferred.
- Knowledge of second language, such as Spanish, Portuguese, French, or other.
Up to 28 hours a week (may not exceed 28 hours per week)
Closing Date: Immediate/Position open until filled
Please include the following items with your profile, by clicking New Resume/CV under "Apply" below:
- Cover letter including availability
- Copies of Transcripts
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Community College of Denver is seeking individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and work environment. CCD values the ability to work effectively with students, families, faculty, instructors and staff of diverse backgrounds.
CCD is a Learning College where policies, programs and practices support learning as the major priority.
Community College of Denver is an Equal Employment Opportunity Educational Employer.
Background checks will be conducted on all finalists for employment consideration.
CCD recognizes that administration, faculty, instructors and staff reflect the diversity of its students and community and prohibits employment and student discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
For information regarding Community College of Denver Security, including crime statistics for the campus and surrounding area, please see the CCD Campus Security website under “student’s right to know”: http://www.CCD.edu/Safety . For a hard copy report please contact 303-352-3042