Community College of Denver
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Excel! Knowledge Zone Chemistry Tutor, Hourly
at Community College of Denver
Job Title: Peer or Professional Chemistry Tutor, Hourly
Department: Excel! Knowledge Zone
Pay rate: $11.25 - $15.25 for Peer Tutors
$11.25 - $18.85 for Professional Tutors (or commensurate with skills and experience)
Number of openings: 2
Duties and Responsibilities
Tutors support student learning of chemistry through a variety of student outreach activities such as one-to-one and group tutoring, leading group study, workshops, online tutoring, and effective collaboration between staff and departments in a way that contributes to student learning and persistence.
- Provide students with learning support within specific content area(s) and resources in order to facilitate comprehension and transfer of knowledge based on course subject matter.
- Monitor and maintain the tutoring space.
- Tutor in a variety of environments (one-to-one, group, or via Web-Ex)
- Be knowledgeable in the areas of study that the tutoring space supports.
- Follow best practices in tutoring.
- Record content of each tutoring session
- Foster an environment that encourages student learning and success.
- Understand and apply guiding principles of the EXCEL! Knowledge Zone.
- Be proactive in communication with director supervisor and with Student support assistants, other tutors, instructors, coordinanators and the director.
- Resolve problems in the tutoring zone whenever possible.
- Participate in professional development opportunities.
- In progress AA Degree with course of study applicable to chemistry.
- Earned a final letter grades of a B or better in the courses related to the subject area of expertise.
- Previous experience with mentoring, tutoring, training or teaching.
- Experience in a service environment helpful but not necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of subject-matter area(s).
- Must enjoy working with a diverse population of learners.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Enjoys helping students with science.
- Possess a strong sense of responsibility and commitment to the role.
- Must be organized, hardworking, reliable and dedicated.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Earned Bachelors or Master's degree in Chemistry
- Teaching license or Tutoring Certification.
- Prior tutoring or teaching experience.
- Knowledge of second language, such as Spanish, Portuguese, French or other.
Peer Tutors: eligible to work 10-20 hours a week.
Professional Tutors: eligible to work 15-25 hours a week.
May not exceed 28 hours per week
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Please include the following items with your profile, by clicking New Resume/CV under "Apply" below:
- Cover letter including availability
- Copies of Transcripts
- Additional requirements for Peer Tutor applicants: peer tutor applicants must include a current course schedule and a copy of financial aid award notification in order to complete the process.
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Community College of Denver is seeking individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and work environment. CCD values the ability to work effectively with students, families, faculty, instructors and staff of diverse backgrounds.
CCD is a Learning College where policies, programs and practices support learning as the major priority.
Community College of Denver is an Equal Employment Opportunity Educational Employer.
Background checks will be conducted on all finalists for employment consideration.
CCD recognizes that administration, faculty, instructors and staff reflect the diversity of its students and community and prohibits employment and student discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
For information regarding Community College of Denver Security, including crime statistics for the campus and surrounding area, please see the CCD Campus Security website under “student’s right to know”: http://www.CCD.edu/Safety . For a hard copy report please contact 303-352-3042