Copper Mountain Resort
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Woodward Copper Snowboard Coach
at Copper Mountain Resort
Start Date (If not listed, look in the Job Description)Dec 1, 2018
Minimum Age Required for this Position18
Job Title: Woodward Copper Snowboard Coach
Job Status: Seasonal
We are looking for Certified Snowboard coaches for Woodward Copper!
Full and part-time, seasonal positions to begin in December and end mid-April. In addition, summer on snow coaching opportunities available based on winter coaching performance and camp volume! Must be at least 18 years old. Must be available to work weekends and holidays. Part-time positions require a minimum commitment of 20 scheduled days on snow for the season as well as 1 shift per week in The Barn. The minimum amount of days is subject to change. Must have at least one season of teaching experience. Looking for individuals who demonstrate an enthusiasm for riding and enjoy educating all ages and ability levels. Based on business volume, this position will be primarily working with our youth students; ages 7-17 years in the Woodward freestyle program, coaches will also be assigned to work out of our Ski and Ride School. All Woodward Copper on snow coaches are expected to work 1 shift a week in The Barn utilizing state of the art cross training tools and methods to maximize progression at all levels.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Woodward Copper Coach will ensure the best possible experience for the Copper Mountain guest, working on an individual basis and as a part of the overall of the mission of the resort. Coaches will lead group classes with up to 10 people, all while focusing on individual engagement and progression. The Coach faces key challenges on creating guest loyalty through great experiences in a short time frame. The Coach will successfully instill confidence in teaching snowboarding ability to our guests. Provide an unsurpassed mountain vacation experience every day.
- Works with participants to safely progress their snowboard skills and techniques in the park and pipe.
- Teaches and spots participants through a variety of trick progressions on the spring floor and trampolines.
- Develops a rapport with students quickly, establishing a connection with the student(s) almost immediately. Making each guest feel special and unique will build confidence with the student(s) and allow the lesson to provide safety, fun, and learning to the guest.
- Engages the class 100% of the time, while still focusing on individual and unique student needs. Goes above and beyond expectations to have a positive impact on each student.
- Identifies different learning styles among students and is able to effectively demonstrate different teaching styles to reflect them.
- Understands what the beginner snowboard progressions are for different age levels of students, and has the ability to demonstrate them to the class. Additionally, the instructor will be able to identify ability level in students, and split them into groups by ability level when needed.
- Has a serious focus on safety and whereabouts of all students. In addition, is able to teach the student safety as part of the mountain experience.
- Models the values, philosophy, and mission statement of Copper Mountain Resort; strives to create the best memories for the guest again and again.
- Acts as a real team member, cooperating with all employees, including fellow Woodward staff, SRS instructors, supervisors, and employees from all other departments.
- Responds quickly and effectively to a wide variety of situations including possible emergencies while maintaining composure and keeping students and fellow employees calm.
- Manages personal stress levels, and is able to maintain balance between work and personal life.
- When working with children: Supervising children in class at all times; assisting at lunch and snack times; ensuring return of children to identified guardian.
- Assisting in operational responsibilities of Ski & Ride and Woodward programs including but not limited to registration process, directing guests to appropriate equipment fitting source, upkeep of outdoor teaching areas, and cleanliness of facilities.
- Assists Barn crew to exhibit a sales and fulfillment operation that is seamless to the guest.
- Assists Barn crew by checking passes and wrist bands to monitor access to the Woodward Copper Barn as well as exclusive on mountain features.
- Actions are in accordance with Copper Mountain Resort's Standards of Business Conduct
- Behavior is in alignment with the policies and procedures outlined in Copper Mountain Resort's handbook, Woodward and SRS training.
- Assist other departments in their operational responsibilities when needed, including but not limited to Race/Events/Competitions and Lift Operations.
- (Local Option) A key challenge our instructors face is creating guest loyalty through great experiences in a short time frame. (The length of the lesson will range from 2-6 hours).
Other Duties as Assigned:
- This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities for this job and is not intended to be an inclusive list of job tasks and expectations. With the evolution of POWDR-Copper, the responsibilities of this position may change. The job must be prepared to accept new responsibilities and transfer others.
- Functions as an ambassador of Copper Mountain, modeling and sharing the Copper "culture" with our guests and employees. Upholds the most professional image. Continually strives to exceed our guest's expectations and create memories for our guests and staff.
- Is honest and has the highest integrity
- Is able to handle and manage confidential information
- Professional appearance. Adheres to all grooming guidelines
- Follows established policies and procedures
- Is supportive of Core Values: Employee Experience, Guest Loyalty, & Financial Strength
- Sets the example for others and is above reproach
- Is comfortable to challenge established policies and procedures, but once established, is supportive of those rules.
- Is organized in tasks. Sees projects through to the finish. Has good follow-through and makes it a habit of getting back to people on issues.
- Can handle fast paced, potentially high-pressure environment
- Is flexible with hours and days of work
- Is able to work any hours of the day, any days of the week, including holidays and weekends
- Prioritizes and re-prioritizes personal time and work, to have good balance in life
- Good physical condition.
- Able to stand for entire shift
- Must be able to work in inclement weather in a high alpine environment
- Must be outside for long periods of time in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift and carry items up to 50 lbs.
- Due to the sensitive nature of this position, a criminal background check will be conducted after position is accepted. This background check will be done in accordance with standards enacted under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Must be fluent in all aspects of the English language
- Must have sight, speech, and hearing abilities sufficient to learn skills, follow and provide direction
- Must have a minimum AASI, USASA, or USSSA Level 1, 100 or international equivalent
- Must own current snowboard equipment in safe working order
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- At least 2 years instructing/coaching experience strongly preferred.
- Certifications focused on coaching freestyle
Copper Mountain, LLC is an affirmative action employer and that age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other applicable status protected by state or local law, are not taken into account in any employment decision. We offer competitive benefits, employee housing, and a unique work atmosphere. All of our job opportunities are located at Copper Mountain Resort in Summit County, Colorado. 90 miles west of Denver, we are situated in the heart of Colorado's playground. All candidates must fill out an application to be considered for employment.
Can you see yourself here - Apply now!