Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Denver Zoo
- Denver, CO, USA
- Full Time
Denver Zoo is a leader in animal care, wildlife conservation, and education. We are passionate about our commitment to excellence in support of our mission to secure a better world for animals through human understanding.
Denver Zoo honors our animals, staff, and guests by conducting ourselves at the highest level of integrity through our Core Actions -- Inspire Awe: Safety, Care, Connect and by embracing our Core Behaviors of: Passion, Respect, Innovation, Diversity, and Excellence in all that we do.
Denver Zoo's Horticulture & Grounds Department has an opportunity for a full time Grounds Technician to maintain Zoo grounds to keep them clean and attractive. Candidates should have experience in turf/landscape maintenance, using equipment such as Bobcat, front end loader, tillers, trimmers, etc and have a clear driving record.
Our staff is a dedicated and diverse group of individuals committed to providing quality care to our animals while creating moments of awe for guests. If you are a like-minded individual and thrive in a dynamic, fast paced, and innovative culture, Denver Zoo is the place for you!
In this role, you will:
- Perform trash and dumpster routes throughout the zoo.
- Maintain and repairs various turf areas within the zoo and is responsible for related equipment.
- Operate the sweeper, blowers, and related equipment to ensure all visitor pathways are clear of debris.
- Pick up litter throughout the zoo.
- Participate in snow removal operations and is available to work a variable schedule, including occasional holidays, on an "on-call" status for snow removal.
- Operate light to heavy equipment used for maintenance, clean-up, and minor/major hardscaping projects.
- Assist Horticultural Support Division and Horticulturists with minor/major projects as directed.
- Perform pre/post trip vehicle inspection on equipment for such things as fluid levels, leaks, condition of hoses and belts, tire pressure, lights, and all related areas. Cleans and cares for all tools and equipment needed for job assignments.
- Set priorities in alignment with Inspire Awe:
- Safety first, always.
- Care demonstrated through exceptional guest service
- Connect with each guest utilizing ROADMAP in all programs and GIG strategies with guests
- Demonstrate a commitment to Denver Zoo's Sustainability Policies by adhering to all environmental, safety, & health regulations, procedures, and goals.
- Act in accordance with Denver Zoo's Core Behaviors: Passion, Respect, Innovation, Diversity, and Excellence in all interactions with staff, guest, volunteers, and vendors.
The Successful Candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Graduation from high school or a GED Certificate
- Skilled in turf and landscape maintenance, and operation and maintenance of related equipment.
- Skilled in the operation of equipment such as Bobcat, front end loader, high lift, tillers, trimmers, blowers, sprayers, and snow removal equipment. Knowledgeable in the safe operation of such equipment.
- Ability to identify problems and provide adequate information, including alternative solutions regarding problematic situations to the supervisor.
- Proficiency in both written and oral communication skills; Ability to read, interpret, and apply organizational policy and procedures and other written guidelines to work functions, and to work independently.
- Possess excellent customer service and interpersonal skills. Skill in understanding and following oral, illustrated, written or demonstrated instructions.
- Knowledge of safety hazards and necessary safety precautions sufficient to be able to establish a safe work environment for self and others.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
- Ability to care for and properly maintain Denver Zoo property including but not limited to radios, equipment, and vehicles.
- Clear driving record.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Open until filled
Denver Zoo reserves the right to close the position prior to the above date.
Denver Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer