Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Temporary Horticulture/Grounds Technician
at Denver Zoo
- Denver, CO, USA
Denver Zoo is a leader in animal care, wildlife conservation, and education. We are passionate about our commitment to excellence in support of our mission to secure a better world for animals through human understanding.
Denver Zoo honors our animals, staff, and guests by conducting ourselves at the highest level of integrity through our Core Actions -- Inspire Awe: Safety, Care, Connect and by embracing our Core Behaviors of: Passion, Respect, Innovation, Diversity, and Excellence in all that we do.
Denver Zoo's Horticulture Department has an opportunity for a Temporary Horticulture and Grounds Technician to maintain zoo grounds and keeping the zoo clean and attractive. Depending on the season, other duties include, but are not limited to providing routine maintenance of the Zoo's exhibits and plant collection by monitoring, pruning, weeding, mowing, watering necessary to optimize the health and vigor of the living landscape, collection and disposal, snow removal, certain hardscape installations and maintenance, path maintenance and general cleanup of grounds, and snow removal. This position may also assist with the installation, maintenance, and tear-down of Zoo Lights as well as assisting with maintenance of Denver Zoo's tree collection. Candidates should have at least two year of professional experience, able to lift 50 lbs. and have a clear driving record.
Our staff is a dedicated and diverse group of individuals committed to providing quality care to our animals while creating moments of awe for guests. If you are a like-minded individual and thrive in a dynamic, fast paced, and innovative culture, Denver Zoo is the place for you!
In this role, you will:
- Aid the Horticulture Coordinator(s) to monitor and implement the maintenance programs of specified section of the zoo's landscapes through soil preparation, planting, watering, weeding, mowing, and pruning.
- Assist the Events Arborist with the installation, maintenance, and tear-down of the annual events.
- Assist the Events Arborist and Arborist in tasks such as tree pruning, spraying, injecting, felling, and stump grinding.
- Pick up litter throughout the zoo.
- Operate light to heavy equipment used for maintenance, clean-up, and minor/major hardscaping projects.
- Participate in Horticulture and Grounds' project assistance to the Guest Experience Division as directed.
- Assist Horticulture Coordinator(s), Horticulture Specialist(s), and Horticulture Technician(s) when needed.
- Participate in snow removal operations and is available to work certain weekends and holidays as an on-call status for snow removal.
- Set priorities in alignment with Inspire Awe:
- Safety first, always.
- Care demonstrated through exceptional guest service
- Connect with each guest utilizing ROADMAP in all programs and GIG strategies with guests
- Demonstrate a commitment to Denver Zoo's Sustainability Policies by adhering to all environmental, safety, & health regulations, procedures, and goals.
- Act in accordance with Denver Zoo's Core Behaviors: Passion, Respect, Innovation, Diversity, and Excellence in all interactions with staff, guest, volunteers, and vendors.
The Ideal Candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Graduation from high school or a GED Certificate.
- 2 years professional experience in related field.
- Experience and high level of comfort with Microsoft Office and Outlook a plus.
- Proficiency in both written and oral communication skills; ability to produce and maintain digital records, plans and simple landscape drawings. Ability to read, interpret, and apply organizational policy and procedures and other written guidelines to work functions, and to work independently.
- Must be able to frequently and safely lift (raise or lower) 50 pounds.
- Safe Heavy Equipment Operation basics preferred.
- Clear driving record.
Open until filled
Denver Zoo reserves the right to close the position prior to the above date.
Denver Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer