Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Substation Engineering Technician
About UsAt HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR Engineering is currently seeking an Engineering Technician to join our growing and nationally-ranked team of Power Delivery professionals in our Denver-based Substation team. This role is an integral part of a team that executes technical design on substation engineering projects ranging in scale from simple device replacements to large greenfield design projects. This is an excellent growth opportunity for a self-directed individual who is eager to learn and take on new challenges.
The primary duties of this Engineering Technician position are to independently perform substation design tasks, CAD design, develop design drawings and documents, modeling and/or analysis, prepare material lists, perform field reviews, and other tasks for simple to moderately complex projects. The Engineering Technician performs most design responsibilities without assistance on simple projects, and will work independently but with engineering guidance on moderately complex projects.
The successful candidate will be responsible for learning, understanding, and implementing client standards, practices, and procedures to ensure that work produced conforms to both client and HDR standards and expectations.
· Associate or technical school degree, or combination of education and relevant experience.
· 5 years of experience related to developing electrical substation design documents, including dimensional and non-dimensional design drawings.
· Electrical utility, consulting engineering, or similar design experience is necessary.
· Proficiency using Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, Microstation, and/or raster CAD is required.
· Routinely uses higher-level commands, timesaving programs, and routines.
· Proactively seeks and shares knowledge of the latest technologies and processes.
· Ability to work closely with engineering staff, and interface with client engineers, designers, and document control staff.
· Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· An enterprising attitude and intrinsic commitment to being an active participant in our unique and dynamic employee-owned culture is a must.
· Candidates located in the Denver, Colorado area.
· Experience with Colorado-area electric utilities.
· 3-D design experience is a plus.
· Transmission/distribution design experience is a plus.
· Openness and willingness to work on cross-functional assignments in adjacent industries (renewable energy, wastewater, power generation, mining, civil/structural, etc.)
Why HDRAt HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.