Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SENIOR DIRECTOR RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT- CONSUMER VALUE ADD
JBS USA is a leading global provider of beef, pork, lamb, and prepared foods in the U.S. and abroad. We are also the majority shareholder of Pilgrim’s, the largest poultry company in North America. JBS USA employs more than 100,000 people and globally employs more than 250,000. As a global team, we process, package and deliver fresh, further-processed and value-added premium meat products for sale to customers in more than 100 countries on six continents. Our corporate office is located in beautiful Greeley, Colorado, employs more than 1,200 people onsite, and enjoys more than 300 days of sunshine a year.
The primary responsibility of this role is the improvement of existing items and creation of new fresh, uncooked pork, beef and chicken products that are packaged to be sold in Retail and Club Channels. This position manages direct reports and frequently collaborates with Marketing, Sales, and Operations.
- Develops new pork, beef and chicken products leveraging expertise in food chemistry, food ingredient functionality and experimental design.
- Works collaboratively and develops strong relationships with cross functional teams including Marketing, QA, Operations and Sales to solve key business issues and drive profitable growth.
- Translates consumer needs into product innovation and renovation.
- Manages and oversees R&D technical functions such as sensory, shelf life testing, legal label claims, product/packaging improvements
- Manages and develops scientific approaches to business needs in areas of flavor and microbial shelf life.
- Independently completes research projects to design, develop and improve new and existing product portfolio.
- Provides product costs based on commodities, ingredients, and product formulations.
- Responsible for sourcing ingredients and leveraging vendor expertise in ingredient functionality.
- Creates product samples by working with various plant production equipment, such as grinders, injectors, massagers, dicers, slicers, or chillers, etc.
- Tests ideas on processing or packaging attributes that would improve product performance or desirability.
- Develop and maintain product specification, ingredient statements, allergen information and formulas for seasoning blends and non-meat ingredients; then incorporate respective information into the label design process as needed.
- Participates in plant trials and works with new product start-ups - ensure products are made to spec.
- Works with production plant personnel on scale up of new products. Suggest initial order quantities for ingredients and packaging, obtain cost of materials
- Provides support on technical and/or quality issues.
- Act as a technical resource to support quality issues, answer questions about products, plant capabilities, labeling regulations.
- Present new products to customers; Presentation often involves cooked preparation of multiple items or full meals
- Prepare product samples and ship to customers as requested.
- General awareness of USDA regulations, restricted/limited ingredients and approved processing procedures.
- Optimizes cost/quality and process improvements contributing to increased product quality and profitability for the business.
- Designs tests, interpret results and recommend next steps in product development
- Assists QA/QC in the analysis of product that generates customer complaints.
- Education: Master’s in Meat Science/Food Science or related.
- 15+ years of progressive experience in R&D of uncooked pork, beef or chicken product development and technical services leading teams
- Protein experience required- prefer beef, pork, poultry
- Ability to work in accordance with safety and food safety policies
- Intermediate ability in Microsoft Office products, specifically Microsoft Excel
- Interpersonal and team skills for working with employees at all levels both internal and external