Katmai Information Technologies
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Operating Room Registered Nurse
at Katmai Information Technologies
- Health Services
- Katmai Health Services
- Regular Full-Time
- FLSA Status
- a non-Exempt
Provides professional nursing care to patients undergoing surgery. Prepares and maintains operating room for all surgical procedures. Establishes and utilizes a checklist to monitor the physical plan of the operating room and equipment for conformity to all national standards for ensuring safety for the patient and all personnel. Assembles the type and quantity of material and special equipment needed for daily procedures and possible emergencies. Circulates for surgical procedures. Responds to surgical emergency requirements such as cardiac, pulmonary, or respiratory failure and hemorrhage.
- Maintains open communication lines, both intra-departmentally and interdepartmentally, to provide for total needs of the patient. Conducts preoperative and postoperative visits. Discusses operative procedures with patients and informs them of what to expect during surgery. Consults with the operating surgeon and establishes priorities of care for each patient entering the operating suite. Coordinates with other hospital units, which include recovery room, intensive care, obstetrics, and nursing units, on patients’ progress and any special equipment or supplies that will be needed for the patient returning from surgery.
- Directs and instructs personnel in preparing, sterilizing, and caring for operating room equipment and supplies. Supervises central sterile supply service activities. Maintains concise and complete records and reports. Coordinates an ongoing, in-service education program to continually update knowledge and skills of all assigned operating room nursing personnel.
- Accurate and complete documentation of patient care events and process improvement activities IAW MTF guidelines.
- Administer medications, electrolytes, fluids, blood, and blood products.
- Ensures compliance with standards of care and practice in accordance with all established policies, procedures, and guidelines used in the medical treatment facility. Provides care within ethical and legal boundaries.
- Recognizes medical emergencies and responds appropriately. Initiates CPR if required. Assists surgical team in administering advanced cardiac life support measures when necessary.
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing from a National League of Nursing or from an American Academy College of Nursing accredited college or university.
- Registered Nurse shall possess a current, active, full and unrestricted Registered Nurses (RN) licensed in Colorado, be able to practice using a nurse compact state license or have a license from any United States jurisdiction.
- Registered nurses shall hold a national or state nursing license that is valid and current with no limitations, stipulations or pending adverse actions. License must be unencumbered and remain in effect during contract employment.
- Registered Nurses shall have a current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certificate by the American Heart Association, Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS). These certifications shall be maintained in a current status at all times while performing services under this contract at no expense to the Government.
- A minimum of 12 months of experience is mandatory in operating room assignments. Experience must include all phases of operating room technique such as preparing operating room units, preparing patients for surgery, and assisting medical officer during surgery; and conducting instrument and equipment sterilization procedures.
- Knowledge of a variety of pharmacological agents used in patient treatment, the desired effects, side effects, and complications of their use as well as the accurate administration of the pharmacologic agent, including dosage calculations as required. Knowledge of the administrative requirements for proper documentation of patient’s condition including disease progress, acknowledgement of teaching, and follow up care.
- Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates nursing care for all patients including newborns, children, adolescents, adults and the elderly; disabled to include visually and hearing impaired; and individuals of varying ethnic and religious backgrounds to include those who do not speak or understand English.
- Must be able to read, understand, speak, and write English well enough to effectively communicate with all patients and other health care providers.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain secret clearance (U.S citizenship is required).
- Working knowledge of laboratory test values.
- Safely operate and monitor specialized therapeutic and resuscitative equipment. Skill in setting up, operating and monitoring specialized medical equipment such as IV infusion pumps, cardiac monitoring devices, EKG units, oxygen analyzers, nebulizers, and other unit specific equipment.
- Communicate and collaborate with a multidisciplinary medical team acting as a role model and expert in the perioperative nursing care of patients. Establishes and maintains good interpersonal relationships with co-workers, families, peers, and other health team members.
Position consists of sitting for long periods of time, using hands/fingers, handling, reaching with hands and arms, speaking or translating. Periods of walking, standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, and lifting boxes weighing up to 30 pounds. Moderate to extended periods of office work with heavy periods of computer usage. May be assigned occasional to moderate periods of analytical tasks requiring extensive reasoning abilities. It is Katmai’s business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed primarly indoors at a well-lit military treatment facility such as clinic, outpatient facility or hospital. The environment is normally air conditioned, but conditions may change dependent upon circumstances. Work may need to be performed in a fast-paced environment requiring quick thinking and rapid judgements. Employee will be exposed to a wide variety of clients in differing functions, personalities and abilities. Exposure to bloodborne pathogens and bodily fluids, latex, radiation or other contaminants and safety issues. May be exposed to infection or diseases from contact with patients. Work is highly social with patients and can be stressful with a high emotional elements. Decisions made may substantially impact patients and their families.
40 hours per work week from 0630 to 1530, Mondays through Fridays. Slight changes to the work hours may occur.
To be considered for this position, all applicants must apply on the company website, http://www.katmaicorp.com/careers.
We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Preference will be given to Ouzinkie Shareholders in accordance with Title 43 U.S. Code 1626(g) and Title 42 U.S. Code 2003 - 2(i).
Executive Order 11246, as amended, protects applicants and employees from discrimination based on inquiring about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.