Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Systems Engineer, E-O
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 105424
The Electro-Optical (EO) Systems Engineer will support systems engineering, systems architecture studies, systems design & analysis, and test roles on programs for the development of high-performance, high-precision, rugged military and space-based, EO systems including optical sensor systems, infrared and spectral imaging systems, surveillance and reconnaissance systems, high power laser systems and laser communication systems. The EO Systems Engineer will work on projects end-to-end, from proposal and design, through prototype development and analysis, to product development and manufacturing.? Excellent communication skills and success working in a multi-disciplined team environment is a must. The successful candidate will derive, model, analyze and optimize complex optical and EO systems at the conceptual and detailed design level, with a focus on radiometry, calibration, image quality and stray light control. Candidates for this position must have experience with the design, development and analysis of optical and EO systems, including visible and IR sensor systems, modeling and simulation, optical system performance modeling, performance analysis and tolerance assessment experience.? Knowledge of image quality metrics such as MTF, MRTD, NIIRS ratings, and SNR is required. Candidates offering experience in focal plane array analysis, radiometric calibration, simulation, integration and test are desirable.
- Derive, model, analyze and optimize complex optical and EO systems.
- Design, develop and analyze optical and EO systems.
- Lead integration and testing efforts of sensor systems and sub-assemblies.
- Perform systems architecture studies and sensor trades.
- Support new business in concept development and proposals.
- Key contributor to programs as technical expert and/or as Lead EO Systems Engineer.
- BS in Optics, Electro-Optics, Applied Physics, or equivalent engineering discipline; MS preferred.
- Minimum of 9 years of industry experience in airborne or space applications is required.
- Working knowledge in system-level hardware design & development, requirements definition, analysis, and risk mitigation for complex systems.
- Experience with Model-Based Systems Engineering and/or DOORS is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge in various modeling & simulation software including MATLAB, FRED, or equivalent.
- Experience with Zemax/CodeV, ModTran, and/or NVtherm/SSCam/NV-IPM desirable.
- Hands on lab experience in radiometric, calibration, and image quality measurements required.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills for interfacing with senior management, program management, customers, and other engineers.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities / sexual orientation / gender identity.
L3 SSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage minorities, women, veterans and disabled individuals to apply. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
U.S. Citizenship status required.
NOTE: This position can be a Salary Grade T04 or T05 based on the candidate's qualifications as they relate to the skills, experience and responsibility requirements for the position.
L3 Technologies is a prime contractor in Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C3ISR) systems, aircraft modernization and maintenance, and government services. L3 is also a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on military and commercial platforms. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Defense and its prime contractors, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Justice, allied foreign governments, domestic and foreign commercial customers and select other U.S. federal, state and local government agencies.
L3 SSG specializes in the development, manufacturing and qualification of remote E-O sensing payloads, instruments and major sub-systems primarily for space as well as unique airborne applications. Space mission areas include major science investigation, situational awareness, launch detection and weather analysis. Primary markets served include NASA, DoD, intelligence communities and commercial space. Primary airborne contributions include hyperspectral payloads for specialized overseas missions and critical line-of-sight control sub-systems for targeting systems.