Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Design Phase Manager II (Preconstruction)
at Mortenson Construction
- Job ID
- # of Openings
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson is honored to receive 40+ Top Workplace Awards since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Do you have the aptitude to anticipate problems, critical issues and opportunities as they arise? Are you capable of problem solving and generating creative solutions?
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced Design Phase Manager II to provide overall project leadership during the design phase as it relates to customer experience, financial performance, schedule, estimating, design and planning that results in a smooth transition to construction operations. You will work on two projects at a time or one larger project. Strong communication skills are necessary as you will interact with staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to remain flexible, inventive, dedicated and efficient with a high level of integrity and confidentiality is vital to your success.
What will you be doing?
Lead the design process
- Partnering with Healthcare Market Executive in developing and supporting positioning strategies with existing and potential customers. Collaborate on analytical evaluation and reporting of information (i.e. Salesforce and etc.) in support of short/long-term strategic influence within the healthcare market. Champion the development of RFP’s and positioning activities while interfacing with applicable departments and team members.
- Function as the liaison between business development, pre-construction, and marketing
- Complete Request for Proposals with 100% accuracy and compliance with the owner’s specifications
- Provide insight into market sectors; perform market trends analysis
- Lead the project team in achieving scope and budget alignment, schedule alignment, construction readiness, and excellent financial performance
- Establish and manage project budget and scope expectations, budget trending logs and any associated communications and resources
- Craft and supervise project schedules and key achievements, hold team members accountable for reaching set achievements
- Ensure regulatory approvals and permits are obtained
- Ensure proper alignment of design documents and project execution plan
- Responsible for bid packages and contract manuals
- Identify and resolve technical design and specification concerns
- Develop project margin plan
- Act as primary point of contact with owners, architects, engineers, and trade partners and lead the overall project team
- Monitor and measure against project success factors for customers, design partners, and Mortenson team
- Oversight and supervision of design phase team members
- Mentor Design Phase Engineers and encourage career development and growth
- Ensure team members have resources and support
- Provide work direction and performance evaluations
- Identify hiring needs and participate in hiring, discipline, and dismissal decisions if needed
- Foster an integrated team experience through communication and collaboration
Other duties as assigned
- Model and set the tone for extraordinary customer relations, gathering feedback and clarification during design process, as well as identifying future projects and collaboration
- Run site work and logistics efficiently, providing suggestions for improvement
- An integral member of the team supporting business development activities, including reoccurring meetings and interface with Dir. of Business Development and executives. Develop and foster relationships (client, design and trade partners) within the healthcare market both local and national
- Engaging and participating in industry associations and events in direct support of healthcare PDC community (i.e. ASHE, CAHED, CAHE, LCI etc.)
How do you succeed?
- Minimum of 8 years relevant experience
- Experience working on projects within the healthcare market preferred
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and handle multiple project tasks
- Possess basic understanding of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Microsoft Office, project and pertinent web application skills at an intermediate level
- Positive professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies
- Current driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Civil, or Architectural Engineering, Construction Management, Estimating, or equivalent field
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.