OBEC Consulting Engineers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Aviation Engineer 5
at OBEC Consulting Engineers
This is a full time, regular position to lead marketing, manage projects, and serve as the lead design engineer for airport projects in Colorado and assist with projects led by other DOWL offices. Many of DOWL’s design projects include construction and reconstruction of runways, taxiways, and aprons, ARFF buildings, SRE buildings, terminal buildings and hangars, as well as landside projects. This position would assist with airport planning and environmental documents and airport layout plans. This position may also assist with or lead non-aviation transportation projects, as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Manage airport design projects at Part 139 and general aviation airports.
- Grow and lead the aviation team in the Colorado market.
- Develop and form new relationships with clients to increase business.
- Coordinate client communications, marketing, and proposal development.
- Prepare fee proposals and schedules for new projects and manage budgets and schedules.
- Complete designs, delegate project assignments, and coordinate work of engineering technicians and lower-level civil engineers.
- Coordinate with government agencies, client staff, and other professionals to obtain design information and approvals.
- Prepare and route project related correspondence and record keeping.
- Conduct site visits to construction sites to monitor quality and progress of the work.
- Write and edit construction specifications and engineering reports.
- Tabulate bid items and calculate construction bid quantities from plans and specifications. Estimate construction costs.
- Consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work tasks.
- Other engineering related duties as assigned.
Supervises a team of engineers (from intern to level IV) in the subpractice area and possibly the office as well. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Minimum a Baccalaureate degree from an ABET accredited civil engineering or related or the requisite years of progressive engineering experience and educational study, as prescribed by the local jurisdiction, to be eligible to take the Principles and Practice of Engineering exam and at least 10 years prior experience in airport civil engineering, including at least 5 years of project management and marketing experience at general aviation and Part 139 airports.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Licensure as a Professional Civil Engineer.
Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical analysis, and fundamentals of geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong working knowledge of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) design circulars, standards, and regulations.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical journals. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to clients, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to manage, lead and work on multiple concurrent projects. Ability to direct work of co-workers and subordinate staff.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, and Outlook software.
- AutoCAD knowledge and experience is desirable.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can frequently be loud in the field.
DOWL is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Minority, female, veteran, and disabled candidates are encouraged to apply.
Our company THRIVES ON DIFFERENCES! All we ask is that our employees and applicants continue to learn how to work better together. We believe in adjustment first, accommodation always. We believe that people come to work every day with positive intent.