OBEC Consulting Engineers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Geotechnical Engineer 4
at OBEC Consulting Engineers
The Geotechnical Engineer IV will support various ongoing projects throughout Colorado. This leadership role will also help pursue new projects and expand upon our relationships with current clients.
- Manage and perform all phases of geotechnical engineering for structures and earthworks.
- Develop and perform geotechnical field investigations.
- Develop geotechnical laboratory testing programs and interpret laboratory test data.
- Perform engineering analyses and provide design and construction recommendations.
- Supervise, train, and mentor staff engineers, geologists, and technicians.
- Review design drawings and specifications for conformance with geotechnical recommendations.
- Provide overall project management and delegate project assignments.
- Prepare fee proposals for new projects and maintain client follow-up after project completion.
- Conduct periodic site visits to construction sites to monitor quality and progress of the work.
- Assist in marketing the services of the group and other company service lines.
- Provide timely answers to clients on diverse geotechnical problems.
- Evaluate specific geotechnical issues such as slope stability, settlement, and general earthwork related construction practices.
- Review and edit geotechnical reports.
- Consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Must possess a MS degree in geotechnical engineering or the requisite years of progressive engineering experience and educational study, as prescribed by the local jurisdiction, to be eligible to take the Principles and Practice of Engineering exam and have a minimum of ten years of geotechnical engineering experience, or possess a BS degree and have a minimum of 15 years of experience. Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in a private engineering firm performing geotechnical engineering for public and private clients. Must have sufficient experience to work independently with a minimum of support and supervision.
- Must have a depth of foundation experience with a broad range of buildings and other structures and with earthworks and earthwork construction.
- Must have a strong background in strength and consolidation properties of soils and laboratory measurement of these properties.
- Must have experience in planning geotechnical field explorations, soil sampling, logging test borings and directing drilling operations.
- Must have an understanding of surficial geology and depositional processes sufficient to interpret test boring data and to prepare, and explain, geologic cross sections between test borings. Additional depth of training and experience in geology, geophysics and rock mechanics is desirable.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must be a Registered Professional Engineer. Must be, or have the ability to become, registered in the state hired for within six months of being hired.
Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have a sound understanding of soil mechanics and geotechnical laboratory testing.
- Ability to define problems, develop effective and meaningful investigations, analyze data, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to determine appropriate scopes of work and fees for geotechnical services.
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and in writing and to effectively present information to clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, and the public.
- Ability to prepare proposals for geotechnical services and prepare preliminary and final reports.
- Must be able to use common engineering software for preparing boring logs, computing slope stability, analyzing piles, etc.
- The ability to travel and work in remote areas under adverse conditions is required. Field work in remote locations of Alaska, during all seasons, is required.
- Ability to prioritize special projects and daily workload to ensure that all work is completed in a timely and efficient manner. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs frequently. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee is often required to drive long distances and fly in small fixed wing and rotary aircraft.
- Must have the ability to work at remotes sites. Ability to walk and hike through rough terrain, snow and ice and perform the physically demanding work associated with site reconnaissance and subsurface exploration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high when working around drill rigs. Field work is performed in all extremes of weather.
DOWL is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Minority, female, veteran, and disabled candidates are encouraged to apply.
Our company THRIVES ON DIFFERENCES! All we ask is that our employees and applicants continue to learn how to work better together. We believe in adjustment first, accommodation always. We believe that people come to work every day with positive intent.