Patterson Companies, Inc
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Patterson Companies, Inc
- Requisition ID
- # of Openings
- Position Category
- Information Technology
- Animal Health International, Inc.
- Position Type
- Regular Full-Time
The Automation Engineer’s role is to define, develop, test, analyze, and maintain PLC/HMI software applications in support of the achievement of Patterson software requirements. This includes writing specifications, coding software, testing systems, analyzing processes, and installing automation systems. The Automation Engineer will also research, design, document, and modify hardware/software specifications throughout the development life cycle.
Automation Development: Collaborates with clients, developers and other team members in the conceptualization and development of new or existing hardware/software applications. Assists in the definition, development, and documentation of automation control solutions. Helps research, identify, analyze, and fulfill requirements of all internal and external automation system users and stakeholders. Writes PLC programming logic for automation systems as directed. Executes software testing on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors and general debugging.
Project Team Work: Participates in defining control system development project plans, including developing specifications, scheduling, and implementation. Performs automation system turnover to production with service technicians and other support personnel upon completion of development, testing, implementation, and documentation.
Issue Resolution: Provides higher level support for incoming operational support from end users to resolve automation hardware and software issues. Partners with other engineers in resolving problems with software products or company software systems.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Technical Expertise: Maintains current technical knowledge and best practices and actively builds new skills. Provides ideas to help solve business and technical problems for the organization through technical expertise. Able to work across multiple platforms and applications and see interconnections with some guidance.
Action Orientation: Uses time effectively to complete tasks in a thorough and timely manner. Focuses on most important items first. Maintains high levels of personal organization and works at high level of efficiency and rapid pace. Seeks out challenges and initiates action on issues even when scope is unclear. Maintains composure in times of stress.
Flexibility: Easily adapts to and models positive adoption of new methods and Company procedures. Responds to disruptions and organizational change as an opportunity for improvement. Receives feedback from peers, managers, and customers openly as a tool for growth.
Collaboration: Establishes rapport and is straightforward and approachable. Modifies personal style to work more effectively within a team. Listens effectively and uses language and examples appropriate to the audience. Maintains credibility by doing what he/she says he/she will do and taking responsibility for correcting mistakes. Speaks and writes in a clear and concise manner. Takes time to get to know others outside of his/her immediate functional area. Aligns personal goals to team and organizational goals.
Results Focus: Drives for results and puts in necessary effort to ensure work is completed on time. Creates visibility around progress toward key milestones. Identifies and removes barriers to task completion. Pushes through challenges and obstacles to achieve results. Continuously strives to raise personal standards of performance.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering field with focus on system automation or area of functional responsibility preferred, or a combination of equivalent education and experience
- 3-4 years of PLC programming experience required. Should have prior experience within various platforms and languages, including: PLC Ladder Logic, MS.NET, C#, and Object-Oriented Programming.
- Excellent understanding of process control and developing step logic for hardware control systems.
- Excellent understanding of coding methods and best practices
- Extensive experience in weighing systems, motor drives (frequency/DC), and other industrial automation devices.
- Knowledge in object-oriented programming and design
- Ability to research and correct process/control issues effectively
- Proficiency with office productivity tools such as Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Must complete a basic OO programming exercise to our satisfaction prior to interview.
- Knowledge of GE PLC hardware and Proficy software or other PLC systems.
- Experience in feed mill process automation.
- Knowledge of Industrial Internet of Things concept and design.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Patterson Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability or protected veteran status.