Safe Fleet Solutions
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Product Design and Manufacturing Engineer, American Van
at Safe Fleet Solutions
- 18-Jul-2019 to 16-Sep-2019 (CST)
- American Van
- Lakewood Township, NJ, USA
- Full Time
Primary responsibilities include:
Product design of mechanical/ electrical products for the work truck industry. Design, integrate and improve the sheet metal fabrication and powder coat processes for new and legacy products. Use lean manufacturing methodologies to improve lead-times, quality and cost by removing waste and increasing value to our customers. Create and maintain the documentation needed for products and processes. Support the daily business with root-cause problem solving and innovative, mistake-proofed solutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Creation and maintenance of engineering documentation for the production of sheet metal type products related to product line.
- Utilize robust project management tools that enable effective product launch through all phases of the product and process development and integration stages.
- Sufficiently interface with customers and suppliers in order to develop working knowledge of products and processes
- Use working knowledge of customers and suppliers to develop design concepts into marketable products which may be modified to specific customer usage
- Support company profit goals by demonstrating a sound knowledge of engineering methods enabling improved designs that improve material utilization or improve manufacturing throughput (DFMA).
- Well versed in Lean Manufacturing concepts
- Value stream layout and continuous flow experience
- Collaborate with quality, engineering and shop floor personnel to create, modify and maintain all standardized work, work instructions and determine critical part features and key process controls.
- Display working proficiency of related CAD software and other company directed software.
- Accurately develop and sustain multilevel BOM structures for use in ERP system.
- Provide direct project support as assigned for new projects and meet all customer and internal time lines through the effective use of engineering and project management tools.
- Performs other related tasks assigned by the Director of Operations.
- Potentially oversee project scheduling and prioritization.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Maintain high standard despite pressing deadlines. Ensuring the job is completed correctly the first time while producing accurate, thorough and professional work.
- Strong sense of customer service with the commitment to exceed the customer's expectations by responding to customer questions and/or problems with quick and effective resolutions as well as maintaining a "team approach" relationship.
- Creating and maintaining a harmonious relationship with suppliers to assure knowledge is shared with the organization from all aspects and react to information accordingly.
- This position must be able to communicate at all levels and in all departments of the company. He/she must demonstrate a mature and professional acceptance and handling of responsibilities. There must be an unquenchable desire to succeed with minimal direct supervision.
- Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma skills preferred.
- Demonstrated success improving output, reducing downtime, leading cost reduction projects, and major capital project planning and implementation.
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DFMA) experience preferred for new product development.
- Use of FMEA methodology.
- 4 year B.S. Degree in Engineering and 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization in person, on the phone, and in writing.
- Strong experience in engineering software packages, design processes, organizational methods, project management / planning and cost analysis. AutoCAD, Inventor or Solidworks experience is beneficial.
- Experience programming in a sheet metal fabrication business (turrets, brakes, robotic welders, etc)
- Internet based software specific to field
- MS Office
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, or stand; Reach with hands and arms; Talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk and lift up to 50lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- In compliance with OSHA standards it has been determined that Safety glasses and footwear are required on the plant floor.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Metal working, fabrication, stamping, assembly in a typical factory environment
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to airborne particles; and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions (non-weather); working near moving mechanical parts; outdoor weather conditions; extreme cold (non-weather) and extreme heat (non-weather).