Service Corporation International
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Service Corporation International
- Associate Requisition ID
- # of Openings
- Category (Portal Searching)
Overview & Responsibilities
SCI is certified as a Great Place to Work® by the Great Place to Work Institute. In a recent survey, our associates said that their work has special meaning and is not “just a job”. We currently have a full time opening for a General Manager at Sunset Memorial Gardens in Greeley, CO. This is the opportunity to be part of the Dignity Memorial® provider network and grow your career in the funeral, cremation and cemetery services business. For us, there is no greater responsibility than celebrating each life like no other and making a difference in the lives of people we serve.
Foster a sense of ownership in the location and pride in the staff, manage costs in a disciplined manner, and encourage profitable case volume growth. Manage the daily operations of multiple locations and multiple lines of business within the Funeral Home industry. Responsible for short-term planning as well as achieving annual sales revenue and production targets, Profit & Loss (P&L) goals, developing a professional and effective staff, and exceeding client family expectations.
Financial Management 15 %
- Develop annual business plan. Work with local and Market Leadership to develop annual business plan and budget as well as financial, production and revenue goals.
- Accountable for monitoring and achieving annual financial goals. Understand industry finances, how daily activities impact financial outcomes, and making appropriate sustainable business decisions. Approve expenditures and invoices including overtime.
- Manage the day to day activities ensuring on-time services that exceeding client family expectations. Remove barriers, encourage ideas, and identify improvements. Resolves moderately complex problems; provides resolution guidance to supervisors and empowering accountability. Assure the location’s operating practices comply with applicable federal & state regulations and Company policies.
- Responsible for establishing location goals and priorities. Develop, communicate, and monitor goals, priorities, processes and procedures. Manage frontline supervisor’s responsibilities, expectations, and accountabilities. Effectively present and communicate Company and Market strategies, values, and goals to location staff.
- Collaborate with Location Management for resource sharing, ideas, and business or operational enhancements. Work with Market Leadership and Corporate Departments on product, process, and technology needs and improvements.
- Maintain building, facilities, and grounds in a clean, manicured, and working order budgeting appropriately for repairs including equipment and furniture. Ensure all safety, quality control, and compliance standards are adhered.
People Development 25%
- Develop a strong, trusting, and reliable team. Understand team members career aspirations and provide assignments to develop skills and/or close gaps. Constructively address issues and provide tangible and appropriate feedback. Develop frontline supervisors’ proactive and collaborative management style in order to increase employee engagement and minimize turnover. Monitor training and licensing requirements ensuring staff is re-trained/licensed prior to expiration.
- Responsible for screening candidates (internal and external) and hiring or promoting a skilled and effective staff. Establishes pay, recommends pay increases, special pays, and career advancements.
- Discipline staff as necessary. Writes development plans to close behavior or skill gaps. Collaborates with Human Resources throughout discipline, development, and termination processes. Recommends and discusses terminations with Market Leadership.
- Funeral Home management builds and expands brand and product awareness in order to increase sales and market share. May network with key community leaders to build business relationships, influence, and support the community. Participate in community, civic, or other organizations as a part of the local promotional efforts of the location and the Company.
- Develop and implement plans to improve customer satisfaction index and on-line community reviews.
- Other responsibilities as requested or assigned. Depending upon location size and schedules, may assist with arrangements, preparation of visitation and/or services, driving, or transporting thus demonstrating leadership and team work.
Requirements & Qualifications
Education, Certifications, and Licensure
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- At least twelve (12) hours college courses in Finance & Accounting strongly preferred
- At least twelve (12) hours college courses in Marketing or Business strongly preferred
- Care Center or Crematory Manager requires Embalming Licensure
- Location Manager requires applicable state Funeral Director Licensure and Technical schooling diploma Funeral Services/ Mortuary Science preferred; Bachelor’s degree in Mortuary Science where required by state law
Experience & Skills
- At least nine (9) years industry experience in applicable discipline with progressively increased responsibilities. Knowledge of industry competitive pricing, demographic patterns, and market competition strongly desired
- At least four (4) years’ experience managing people and effectively managing budgets and expense control required
- Knowledgeable in Financial and Business acumen
- Professional interpersonal skills as well as cultural sensitivity and tactfulness to interact with a variety of cultures and language barriers
- Proficient in MS Office suite including mail, word, excel, & power point
Who we are. What we do.
We’re more than North America’s largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services. We are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters who are devoted to the communities where we live and work. We are more than 20,000 dedicated individuals who provide caring assistance to families in need, honor veterans and public servants and deliver lifesaving programs to help keep children and seniors safe.
We operate under the umbrella of the Dignity Memorial network of 1,800 funeral homes and cemeteries. Dignity Memorial providers care for more than 300,000 families each year and understand the importance of thoughtful, personalized arrangements. We believe creating meaningful ways to pay tribute to a loved one begins with compassion and is shaped by the understanding that each life is truly unique. For us, there is no greater responsibility than honoring and preserving the story of one’s life.
- Health benefits (medical, dental, vision, life)
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan with company match
- Vacation and sick time
- Tuition reimbursement
- Funeral discounts, and more
SCI offers advanced on-line training resources, career advancement opportunities in the largest organization in the industry, attractive benefits, and a wonderful community to serve with plenty of culture and personality. For additional information regarding our company, please visit our corporate site at www.sci-corp.com.
As used herein, “SCI” refers to Service Corporation International and its affiliated companies.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V