Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
quality assurance manager, Retail Food Safety, Global Food Safety - Denver, CO
Job Summary and Mission
The mission of the Retail Food Safety (RFS) team is to drive food safety culture with an unwavering objective of preventing foodborne illness across our global business.
RFS team will accomplish this by advancing the central competencies of Food Safety and Quality, align with the streamlined enterprise priorities, and strive for better agility, decision quality and speed. This job contributes to Starbucks Coffee Company success by managing the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of food safety, retail quality, and regulatory programs to ensure the continuous supply of safe, wholesome, premium quality finished products through the supply chain and stores for our customers. RFS provides insight, feedback and shoulder to shoulder support to business and operational leaders in the field enhancing training and operation leadership capability, while continuing to support the critical work of enabling food and beverage innovation, store design, and overall enterprise growth.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Analyzes product quality metrics, audit data, customer feedback, regulator and workgroup input. Leads investigation and resolution of concerns from regulators, retail stores, field QA partners or internal and external customers.
- Creates structure and organization of QA files of required suppliers, audits, product safety reviews, operating procedures, product information, compliance documents, certificates and/or critical supporting data in both electronic and paper formats.
- Develops and delivers effective communications to provide partners at all levels with appropriate awareness and knowledge of quality assurance standards, requirement, program updates and process changes
- Interfaces and influences cross-functional teams as the Product Safety, Regulatory and Quality System expert in the development of new initiatives or operating practices. Ensures company business initiatives meet Quality, Product Safety and Regulatory standards.
- Leads project teams to develop and implement new QA programs or procedure improvements needed to support business initiatives. Collaborates and influences cross functionally and globally to create alignment of QA programs across the company.
- Leads quality or regulatory incident resolution activities for the products and operating practices. Determines and recommends appropriate mitigation activities to QA leadership team.
- Manages the development, implements and tracks effectiveness of QA programs including standards, procedures, tools and measures to assure that quality, product safety and regulatory requirements are met for ingredients, products, supplies and store operations.
- Manages the interface with other functions to recommend and oversee updates of company operating procedures, training programs, resource manuals, standards manuals and operational tools that are related to food safety, sanitation and regulatory compliance. Assures accuracy is preserved through key stakeholder reviews and operations communication process.
- Manages the process used to develop and update the procedures and processes that is used to assure the timely availability and appropriateness of product information, samples, certifications or official documents that is needed to meet local market regulatory requirements or to support product claims and naming in domestic and international markets.
- Provides Product Safety and Regulatory consultation and support to cross functional teams in execution of business initiatives, feasibility assessment of product claims, acceptability of operating practices or in opening of new markets.
- Represents QA on internal teams in order to respond to complicated consumer, media, and other external organization inquiries about products, operating practices, claims, nutrition or labeling information.
- Reviews, ensures understanding of and utilizes appropriate regulations and guidelines to meet requirements and protocols necessary to secure regulatory approval for products and operating procedures in all markets.
- Stays up to date and builds expertise in product regulations, product safety best practices, public health regulations and industry best practices. Leverages knowledge to train more junior professionals in regulatory standards, QA processes and their role in Starbucks business.
- Uses department procedures and manages the gathering and review of product information from suppliers worldwide. Assures the accuracy, completeness and reasonableness of product information.
Summary of Experience
- Develops and implements food safety programs and standards or manufacturer/supplier quality system and product quality auditing (7 years)
- Progressive experience managing the development and review of information required to comply with regulatory requirements including using product formulas and product information to create required label information, including nutrition information or generating and organizing information required for exportation of products (7 years)
- Progressive experience within a quality assurance department including retail operations, product QA, supplier, distribution or international quality assurance in planning (7 years)
- Experience in a leadership role involved in state or local foodservice inspections, plan reviews, pre-operational inspections and code enforcements, retail foodservice inspections and regulatory enforcements (5 years)
- Gathers, records and reports on operational and quality metrics (5 years)
- Plans, develops, monitors and verifies Quality System programs and processes (5 years)
- Project management and implementation (5 years)
- Food Safety Certification classes including safe food handling and sanitation
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of food technology, food microbiology, safe food handling procedures and foodservice sanitation practices.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), HACCP Principles, ISO 9000, dairy regulations and applicable food codes for foodservice operations.
- Knowledge of NSF and CSA standards, methodologies and protocols. Knowledge of sanitation certification requirements in international markets.
- Ability to design and conduct Quality System and facilitate audits.
- Ability to manage multiple, complex projects and responsibilities in a fast-changing environment
- Ability to communicate effectively and influence internal customers and external service providers
- Ability to apply sound technical principles to root cause analyses, problem solving and project management.
- Familiarity with product regulations, food and nonfood product safety, product labeling and nutrition science including Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and (CPSC)
- In depth understanding of food safety, food labeling and nutrition
- Ability to lead small teams, to manage progress effectively in ambiguous and unstructured situations
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deliver accurate outcomes
- Ability to multitask, be detail oriented and to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to organize collection of data, analyze information and capture conclusions