Alterra Mountain Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Alterra Mountain Company
Alterra Mountain Company (the Company) is a family of 14 iconic year-round destinations, including the world’s largest heli-ski operation, offering the Ikon Pass, the new standard in season passes. The Ikon Pass connects the most iconic mountains across North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Chile, delivering authentic, memorable snow adventures. The Company owns and operates a range of recreation, hospitality, real estate development, food and beverage, retail and service businesses. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with destinations across the continent, Alterra Mountain Company is rooted in the spirit of the mountains and united by a passion for outdoor adventure. Alterra Mountain Company’s family of diverse playgrounds spans six U.S. states and three Canadian provinces: Steamboat and Winter Park Resort in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Crystal Mountain in Washington; Deer Valley Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia. Also included in the portfolio is Alpine Aerotech, a worldwide helicopter support and maintenance service center in British Columbia, Canada. Alterra Mountain Company honors each destination’s unique character and authenticity and celebrates the legendary adventures and enduring memories they bring to everyone.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Assist in planning, implementing and overseeing the overall accounting strategy of Alterra Mountain Company.
- Oversee the daily accounting for the Company’s various resorts and corporate entities and ensure proper accounting principles, methods, and policies are followed.
- Implement policies and procedures for the accounting department which promote a positive work environment and align the department’s operations with the company’s vision and
- Maintain or improve upon record retention and process documentation.
- Support the development of a motivated, well-trained staff through consistent and constructive performance evaluation on a regular basis
- Participate as the accounting subject matter expert in the rollout and implementation of new modules within Dynamics 365 or other systems with impacting accounting.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with all stakeholders including Resort Accounting teams, Treasury, Financial Reporting and Planning, Marketing, IT, Tax, and Legal.
- Participate in and coordinate the hiring process for positions within own department.
- Communicates with stakeholders regarding policies and procedures, including changes.
- Prepare for and ensure efficient and effective execution of external audits as needed.
- Communicate relevant information regarding the Company, our resorts, other departments, etc. in a timely manner to the accounting team.
- Special projects as needed.
- Hire and train accounting staff.
- Motivate/manage/counsel/support/coach accounting team.
- Provide feedback to direct reports.
- Conduct monthly coaching sessions and bi-annual performance reviews.
- Give formal and informal feedback on on performance.
- Recognize and reward exceptional performance.
- Ensure staff upholds and adheres to all company policies and procedures.
- Communicate information with staff to ensure knowledge of resort activities, events, and changes.
- Motivate and manage the team to ensure a positive team environment.
- This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities and is not intended to be an inclusive list of job tasks and With the evolution of this resort and position, the responsibilities of this position may change.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Education: BS in Accounting or Finance; CPA and/or MBA preferred
- 2 years of experience in public accounting or equivalent industry experience
- 3 years of supervisory financial management experience in private industry with proven abilities to work independently and successfully develop a high quality and effective team
- Experience with financial system implementations is a plus.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with all levels of organization.
- Performance record should show success working with all levels of management and operating personnel.
Skills & Abilities:
- Proficient in use of technology, especially Microsoft Office Products. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics 365 a plus.
- Has strong analytical abilities combined with general accounting knowledge.
- Proficient in oral and written communication Is comfortable in speaking to large groups of people.
- Ability to work with the accounting and functional groups and senior management to collect, normalize and analyze data for financial reporting.
- Ability to empower people, celebrates success, and drive high performance. Develop capabilities of others as a role model, a coach, and a mentor.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. Travel may be required.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of all functions and responsibilities that an employee may be required to perform in this position. Alterra Mountain Company and its affiliates reserve the right to modify, increase, decrease, suspend, and or eliminate any of the essential duties and/or the position in its entirety.
This job description is not an express or implied contract, guarantee, promise, or covenant of employment for any set term or duration, or for termination only for cause.
Employment with Alterra Mountain Company or any of its affiliates is “at will” meaning either party may terminate the employment relationship at any time without or without cause and with or without notice.
This position is located in Denver, Colorado and the work is primarily in Denver, Colorado and, as such, employment in this position is subject to the labor and employment laws of the state of Colorado.
Alterra Mountain Company and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain drug-free workplaces. All employees and candidates are reminded that Alterra Mountain Company and its affiliates adhere to all applicable U.S., Canadian labor and employment laws, including all State or Provincial-specific labor and employment regulations.